PocketWizard Plus IIs and SB-800s

stigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Let's change this:

I want to use Pocket Wizard Plus II's to fire three SB-800 Speelight flashes.

Am I able to just purchase two PocketWizards (placing one on camera's hotshoe and one on an SB-800) and set the other two SB-800's in SU-4 mode and have them all work wirelessly in sync, since SB-800s have optical slave capabilities?

You need one on the camera and one on each flash that you have placed remotely. So... if you have 4 flashes, you need 5 PW units.

Having said that... if you live in the USA, you can order something called Radio Poppers, which are both superior and cheaper than Pocket Wizards, and do something that the PWs cannot... relay CLS info from camera to all strobes.

This is what I shall be getting when they are easier to get and available in Canada.

One PW for each SB-800? Is there any way an SB-800 with PW can fire off another SB-800 without needing another Pocket Wizard attached to that?

Would setting other remote flashes to SU-4 mode not work?

Having said that... if you live in the USA, you can order something called Radio Poppers, which are both superior and cheaper than Pocket Wizards, and do something that the PWs cannot... relay CLS info from camera to all strobes.
Do you have a link?

Cheaper, yes a nice amount.. better? definately! No PW controls TTL or high sync speed flash wirelessly.

Someone wanna answer my question about having to only buy 2 Pocket Wizards and setting all other remote flashes in SU-4 mode to fire using it's optical slave capability?

Should work. Wouldn't know why you would want to given the information in this thread.

If you're going to fire SU-4 why get a PW at all. A long sync cable may be cheaper.

Haha. I never thought of that, actually. A sync cable.

But if people were to purchase Pocket Wizards and need one for each flash, is this only because the optical slave signals don't work all the time, especially outside? So, basically a line-of-sight and fail-proof issue?

Unless Nikon is totally backward with their SB 800 (I'm a Canon guy) you should be able to have one unit as the master and the others set to slave. This should require only 2 Pocket Wizards. One on the camera and one on the Master strobe. This should be able to be accomplished with the units in a manual mode.

As for cheaper, yep a whole $8.00 cheaper than the PW's. As for better. In theory it sounds good, but they are still in pre-order and a lot of things sound good on paper that don't work like they were planned. Time will tell, they may be all they are billed as or even better.

Plus I am waiting for someone to explain to me how the radio popper helps with ittl/ettl in setting light ratios other that just transmitting desired settings. It can't figure ratios. For that you need a meter. For me at least it is a whole lot easier working with a meter and adjusting the power output for each individual strobe to my liking.

Besides, studio strobes work well with PW's. Doesn't look like radio poppers do anything for studio strobes.

Yah, I thought the SB-800's were capable of doing so.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

As for RadioPoppers, they are barely cheaper. Their P1 units go for $180 a piece (transmitter or receiver).

thanks for that link. it was EXACTLY what i was looking for. i knew SU-4 modes were good for something.

Heh, thats why its 'Good ole' Strobist... Glad I could help (all be it by referencing strobist :p)

Most reactions

Back