Point and shoot inspiration

soufiej

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Emphoka; Emphokacommunity-emphoka.blogspot.com/p/emphoka.html#.VLMZKFWJOuZ

What does what mean? What part aren't you understanding?

Blame Google for the lousy link. You can get there by placing "Emphoka" in a search engine.

No question. No statement. I thought it was an interesting site. YMMV

Blame Google for the lousy link.

How is Google to blame. It's not a valid web address. It might be part of one dis you select and copy the entire url from your web browser while on that page?

It works for me. Have you tried a search engine?

I am sorry but I went to this Emphoka website and there are a lot of pictures there but still can't understand what you said about "Point and Shoot Inspiration".

If you don't use a P&S, then probably this site means nothing to you. IMO there is an overall bias against the use of P&S cameras. Not just on this forum but overall among photographers. They are seen primarily for their limitations and not their strengths. I often see a comment such as, "Sure, a P&S is fine in bright daylight but in low light ... ". And so forth, the limitations of the P&S camera is what people discuss and encourage people to avoid. People who use DSLR's are quite happy with their cameras and I can't blame them or disagree with them. DSLR's are what I would use in most situations where their use is superior. However, there are some situations IMO where P&S cameras are totally suitable and, possibly, even the better choice over a larger, heavier, less discrete DSLR.

In the recent few weeks, I've been looking for a small, portable camera which I can carry around day to day and toss into the Fiat 500 where space is at a premium. I don't want my DSLR with me in these situations. I recently heard a comment that the best camera is the camera you have with you. I agree and I don't always want my DSLR with me. In the situations I see myself using this new camera, what I intend to have with me is the P&S type. However, any discussion with a "serious" photographer seems to lead to the DSLR as the only real option. IMO, the Emphoka site suggests a P&S might not be as limited as some would lead me, and probably others, to believe. There are images with very high technical quality on the site in a variety of settings. I don't criticize photos for a living but I would say to my eye there's very little to criticize in the images selected for this site. The images show the artistic potential of a humble P&S. Some people will agree with this and some won't.

If you didn't read the home page of the site, you may have missed the fact all of the shots included in the site have been limited to those submitted when taken with P&S cameras. Nothing on the site has been taken with any camera other than a generic P&S. Given the quality I perceive in these images, I think they are an inspiration to any P&S owner to get out and learn their camera's capabilities and to make great images with those rather humble devices.

This thread definitely isn't meant to start any comments regarding the inherent superiority or inferiority of any camera type. Nor am I looking for comments which say a P&S is always going to be inferior in such and such a situation. I began the thread more for the site's usefulness to P&S users - whatever their reasons for carrying a P&S - and not to say anything about any other sort of camera.

If you don't use a P&S, then probably this site means nothing to you. IMO there is an overall bias against the use of P&S cameras. Not just on this forum but overall among photographers. They are seen primarily for their limitations and not their strengths. I often see a comment such as, "Sure, a P&S is fine in bright daylight but in low light ... ". And so forth, the limitations of the P&S camera is what people discuss and encourage people to avoid. People who use DSLR's are quite happy with their cameras and I can't blame them or disagree with them. DSLR's are what I would use in most situations where their use is superior. However, there are some situations IMO where P&S cameras are totally suitable and, possibly, even the better choice over a larger, heavier, less discrete DSLR.

In the recent few weeks, I've been looking for a small, portable camera which I can carry around day to day and toss into the Fiat 500 where space is at a premium. I don't want my DSLR with me in these situations. I recently heard a comment that the best camera is the camera you have with you. I agree and I don't always want my DSLR with me. In the situations I see myself using this new camera, what I intend to have with me is the P&S type. However, any discussion with a "serious" photographer seems to lead to the DSLR as the only real option. IMO, the Emphoka site suggests a P&S might not be as limited as some would lead me, and probably others, to believe. There are images with very high technical quality on the site in a variety of settings. I don't criticize photos for a living but I would say to my eye there's very little to criticize in the images selected for this site. The images show the artistic potential of a humble P&S. Some people will agree with this and some won't.

If you didn't read the home page of the site, you may have missed the fact all of the shots included in the site have been limited to those submitted when taken with P&S cameras. Nothing on the site has been taken with any camera other than a generic P&S. Given the quality I perceive in these images, I think they are an inspiration to any P&S owner to get out and learn their camera's capabilities and to make great images with those rather humble devices.

This thread definitely isn't meant to start any comments regarding the inherent superiority or inferiority of any camera type. Nor am I looking for comments which say a P&S is always going to be inferior in such and such a situation. I began the thread more for the site's usefulness to P&S users - whatever their reasons for carrying a P&S - and not to say anything about any other sort of camera.
P&S definitely have their time and place.

Also, couldn't agree more that the Fiat 500 is incredibly tiny and probably couldn't carry two passengers and large lens. :lol::icon_tongue:

I do want small camera but not Point and Shoot. I want a camera with all the basic controls and not much automation to complicated thing up. I found that most camera in the P&S category is so difficult to use because they are full of auto feature and either lack of manual controls or they do offer manual controls but very difficult to make adjustment.

I do want small camera but not Point and Shoot. I want a camera with all the basic controls and not much automation to complicated thing up. I found that most camera in the P&S category is so difficult to use because they are full of auto feature and either lack of manual controls or they do offer manual controls but very difficult to make adjustment.
Yea even cell phones offer manual controls for taking photos. Plus I always have my iPhone with me so why also Cary a point and shoot camera.

Most reactions

Back