Point and Shoot vs. DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by marcgalera, Dec 9, 2009.

1. marcgalera

marcgalera TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know the major differences between Point and shoots and DSLRs, but i have a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS which is basically a DSLR but in point and shoot camera body. It has Manual, Aperature, and Shutter Speed settings. I want a Nikon D5000 but i have no money. is it worth it buying the d5000 even if the basic settings are similar?

I'd like to clarify: I am very familiar with DSLRs. I have used a Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Nikon D60, Nikon D40.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had that camera, and although it's a decent point and shoot - it's no DSLR by any means. Granted, the manual controls are there... but the sensor is so tiny in comparison.

If you have no money, then don't worry about it - your point and shoot is quite nice.

3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR or DSLR) is a digital camera that uses a mechanical mirror system and pentaprism to direct light from the lens to an optical viewfinder on the back of the camera.
    VS
    Point-and-shoot camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to learn exposure, composition, lighting, etc, you don't need an slr, but if you want to apply some of the funky things you'll learn, slr is a way to go.

IF you don't have the money for an upgrade, stick to what you have and learn basics. :)

4. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't seen your work, but I will say you have a very capable P&S. It's best to grow as much as you can with the camera before moving on. It has a lot it can teach you wihtout breaking the bank. A lot of photography newbs who pick up SLRs won't be able to touch your photos with your P&S if you know more than they do. The only real disadvantage(well there is a BUNCH of little things, like DOF and stuff, but for all intents and purposes, only 2 disadvantages) is the lack of interchangeable lenses, and worse low light performance, but you should be able to see good results regardless.

5. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmmm.... do you REALLY know the differences between a point and shoot and an dslr???

The most important difference, BY FAR is sensor size. And in this way the two are not even close.

Sensor size of the cannon sx110is = 6.16 x 4.62 mm
    Sensor size of the d5000 = 23.6x15.8mm

What this means is that the sx110is has roughly the same number of pixels packed into a sensor that is 13 times smaller! This strains the optics of the camera causing a lack of sharpness, it also means the pixels are smaller which makes them less sensitive to light--requiring higher gain to reproduce the same image brightness. High gain = more error (noise, fringing, poor color repro etc.)

6. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its like the difference between watching a movie on ur 13inch laptop vs. on an IMAX theater

7. marcgalera

marcgalera TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have my portfolio here: marcgalera.zzl.org

8. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a SX110IS. At first I thought the same thing... till I picked up a Canon 30D... now I see a world of difference. The sensor in the SX110IS is not on par with those in DSLR cameras.

9. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It might be a decent P&S but it's not an SLR in any manner, shape or form.

The "basic settings" in a Yugo are the same as in a Beemer. Which would you prefer?

10. Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  11. Jacki

Jacki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How does the PowerShot SX110 Compare to the G9? Just wondering, because the price is better...

12. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Although you have a great Point and Shoot, its no SLR. A rule of thumb, you shouldn't spend more than $750 on a camera unless you're going to really learn it inside and out. While a D5000 (go Nikon!) is a great camera, its lot a lot of buttons and knobs and a lot of things to learn about, and there will always be another lens you want, or another flash, etc. It becomes an addiction. I suggest - if possible - borrowing an SLR from someone, seeing if you're willing to learn how to shoot with it, then plan to save for it and shop Ebay. There are always tons of great deals on there.