point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jeljohns, Apr 20, 2009.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a DSLR (Canon) and lately I've been pretty frustrated with it and thinking about going back to P&S for some more creative freedom. Can anyone recommend a higher level P&S that takes high quality pictures? I open to any brands at this point.

Thanks!

2. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon Powershot SX110 IS is what I have and its great

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would think that a DSLR offers more 'creative freedom' than a P&S.

Usually, when someone considers changing their photography equipment to solve a creative problem, it's the wrong decision.

5. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What kind of frustration are you having? For example -- getting used to the controls, understanding aperture/shutter speed/ISO, getting unexpected results, etc.? I agree -- changing equipment rarely fixes problems, unless your problem is that the equipment is too heavy, literally broken, or something similar.

6. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why on earth would you want to change to something that is more creatively limiting in order to be more creative?

7. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'm seconding this, a p&s won't give you anymore creative freedom

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're looking for a point and shoot and don't feel like going out of your mind, get something like a Fuji F200 EXR.

IMO, the only point and shoot worth anything right now, for the exception of the G10, a few panasonics, and the Olympus SW series.

The worst point and shoot's i've seen, say Nikon on them. Avoid Nikon's P&S's like the plauge. I ran a test against the P90 and my D700, and ISO 64 on the P90 looked like ISO 5000 on the 700. ISO 60-FREAKING-4!!!!!!

The Fuji F200 at the 6MP High-DR mode looks as good as my D70 shooting RAW- DAMN NICE.

9. howieh

howieh TPF Noob!

well a very good P&S is the Panasonic Lumix L3 but it costs quite a lot...
    I don't see why you need to switch back to P&S for creativity though since it's quite in fact the opposite. What can you do with a P&S that you can't do with a dSLR?
    The only advantage I consider having a P&S is that it's convenient to carry around and you can pretty much use in any settings. That's the only advantage I can think of.

10. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a looooong time I couldn't afford a DSLR so I had a really crappy 4MP P&S. I finally got a DSLR and I actually kind of hate it. My pictures looked BETTER with the P&S. Because I didn't have to worry about settings, ect. I could focus on the creative parts. Now with my DSLR I'm so busy fumbling with controls and worrying about what the proper exposure is that I always miss the moment. Also, my DSLR does not handle light very well. No matter what ISO (or setting) it is on my pictures are DARK. My P&S captured fast action pretty well too and with my DSLR everything is blurry. I know it is mostly user error, but I'm not sure how to get better and I'm frusterated that I've missed many good shots by not just being able to point and click. I just miss the freedom of my P&S. :(

Ugghhh.....suggestions? Before I make what might be a mistake in selling my DSLR?

11. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    read the manual... what camera do you have? sometimes I leave my camera on 2 stops under exposed and it will be VERY dark, while the meter says its the correct exposure.... just a thought.

12. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Canon Rebel XS