point lobos (edit: no more watermark)

MarySHmary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi everyone,

im new to posting on photography forums, so im not sure what info to list about this image. its 35mm kodack black and white film, shot with an old crappy cannon rebel at point lobos in monterey, california.
please ignore my bad grammar in the watermark.

pointlobosweb.jpg

mary

edit: i forgot to say that i scanned the film and did all the darkroom stuff in photoshop 6.

edit #2:no more water mark...i put it there because i was worried about posting online and having someone steal my stuff

Hi Mary, welcome to the forums. :D

This image looks like it has potential, but frankly it's hard for me to get a reference point with that enormous watermark. It's way too distracting. I'd like to see it without it, if that's doable.

Psst.. Mary.. go with a small name or summat. If people are gunna clone it out or summat then they will anyway.

Nice textures. But to me it nees subject - oh if only a bug would land or something.

Mary, welcome to the forum.

I like the shot. For me, no central focus needed - nice lines and textures. Well composed.

What I would suggest is slight added levels adjustments to give a wider tonal range. Also, a bit smaller post so that I don't have to scroll up and down to see the pic (though that may just be a problem with me?).

Again, great first post - very nice.

Tuna: it's not just you, I am scrolling up and down, as well. Would love to see the entire eimage onscreen, but it's greatly improved just getting rid of that watermark.

I would agree it only needs a little more "punch" with tonal range or contrast here. It's all about texture and these beautiful lines. I like the composition and it looks very surreal and lovely. Nice job! :D

I like it a lot, although with the blank sky it would be my flavor to crop most of the sky out.

yep, i agree with matt - i love the texture and grain is absolutely delicious - but the sky is rather blank here. I really enjoy this picture on an abstract level.

If you know pshop well, i would create a feathered layer of the sky, and then use the colour burn mask at ~ 85% - adjust as suites. Make sure an feather about 125-175% or the gradiation from the sky into the landscape will not look natural.

Maybe a red/yellow filter on the next shoot can help bring out the sky more - my limited use of b/w film it seems the case the sky the sky gets bleached out if I didn't use a filter.

Most reactions

Back