POINT OF VIEWS ""

If honest critique becomes rude or brutal

{edit}Traveler:{/edit} Wait, wait, wait, wait...didn't you just tell someone that the problem with their waterfall picture was that "that picture has been done ten million times already this week (ok, perhaps a slight exageration, but maybe not)". That doesn't seem exactly courteous. True, maybe, but courteous, no. Maybe I missed seeing the 'smiley' at the end of it?

gmarquez..... No I didn't say that . you better go back to that post, that was traveller..... and your reading but not seeing, I think I said above , LETS MOVE ON!! lol....

no melodrama.. i'm a serious person, everything I said above I meant..

I worry about others feelings and its as simple as that..

as far as constructive critique, I enjoyed it all.. its how its presented that might bother me.. I look at this forum , and in time will find , as you probably have , heroes...lol

I for one will view others work, and if I like it, well I will probably value there opinion.. It would be like a 400 pound doctor telling you that You must loose weight??? you need to get a feel of the persons work, who is giving you critique..

I value all critique, and it is like public opinion.. one doesn't have to be a photographic Wizard to have a valued opinion..

I for one will view others work, and if I like it, well I will probably value there opinion.. It would be like a 400 pound doctor telling you that You must loose weight??? you need to get a feel of the persons work, who is giving you critique.. ...

Just thought that was worth quoting.

ah Well then I won't bother critiquing your stuff since I'm probably not one you would pay any attention to and it would be a waste of both of our times.

The problem with that is that it assumes one can only have insite, if they are accomplished. I note that two people I don't know from adam and one I respect said the same thing about one of my images today. So I suppose only the one i respect knew anything, and the other two just got lucky. I think not. Most likely people can see something and comment on it, then you have to weigh it's value.

I like to think that critique is always positive no matter where it comes from, but also it is just one more opinion but when it reaches concensus level then I have to give it more weight than simply an opinion I don't agree with.

That still does not mean I change my thinking just that I realize how it looks to others.

lol... wow lot of defensive thought s here...

my statement was that I respect all critique done in a respectful manor...

what I am trying to say is,,, i think with time we all have hero's in photography... if someone critiques my work, I also like to see what him/ her do?? not meaning I don't respect their critique... Meaning after awhile you can look at someone elses posts, and gather in your own mind whether they themselves are creditable...or just blowing wind...

Why mysteryscrib, do u want to argue?? I respect all Critique... I'm just saying if someone is abusive and rude about your work, all you need to do is look at theres?? Are they creditable?? all opinions are welcomed, everyone on this forum has knowledge and savoy in photography, or they wouldn't even spend time here.. Public opinion is the greatest thing going in photography, and when its done by fellow photographers, it doesn't get any better....

I'm thinking you are trying to read to much into what i'm writing...

tell me this , if someone slams your work in a rude mannor, would you not want to see what they can do?? that is where my statement about the Doctor came into play

i simply said, If you are weighing in at 190 pounds, and a 400 pound doctor stands before you telling you to loose weight... well Hmmmm ? something wrong with that picture??? same goes for a person telling you that your picture is boring, I say, lets see what they have to offer...

Now if you feel you want to write me off again, well thats fine, i'm here to enjoy, and thus far all I get done is trying to explain everything I say, that is taken out of context ... really tired of arguing... so if you or max don't want to view my work, not a problem...

If you hero in photography told you a certain pic was terrible , you are going to heed his/her advice or critique with certainty, more so if then if Joe Blow tells you??

Come on quit fighting here, give me a hug lol...

Since you are interested in quoting me, perhaps you can quote the entire exchange.
The question was
I would like what should be done to take photo that would convey something.
and my answer was
One of the problems here is that picture has been done ten million times already this week (ok, perhaps a slight exageration, but maybe not) and finding a new angle or something new or interesting to say will be difficult.

Look at it as a technical problem. Get exposures and shutter speeds correct for water and rocks and go on.

This didn't seem discourteous to me then or now, I didn't call the picture boring or ugly or stupid - I responded directly and simply to his question.

If the OP found it rude, I apologize.

And that is my last point. It is the recipient of the comment that calls the foul. These are lessons that life, or your Mommy, should have taught you.

LoL
Truth is I didn't think it was argumentative and it wasn't meant for you anyway. Please note that you were quoted by someone else below you. The response was to that quote period. What you said is immaterial to what could easily be read into that quote by younger photographers than either of us.

My response to him and if you care to extrapolate it to you that's fine. I won't bother to do a critique for anyone who doesn't want to listen to it bases on the words not my bonafides.

IT'S ABOUT THE WORK NOT PERSONALITIES.

The critique is what it is, doesnt matter who says it. Its there for anyone of us to consider. I'm not fighting I'm stating a fact that I believe. If it is a ten year old who says the emperor is naked that doesn't matter if the old dude is in fact naked. That was my point but if a person isn't going to listen why bother. That was said to the quote maker, but it applies to anyone.

I'm glad you respect critique but frankly this is too much drama for me. I said what I said and I stand by it in general. I'm sorry but I don't see that I was argumentative at all.

Wow, I'm getting lost here?? I 'm reading things I think meant for me, getting PMs that say there for someone else.. lol... lots going on here... don't make me get my glasses lol???

i wasnt going to reply with my comments, but i changed my mind.

this is just the opinion of someone who has only been seriously into photography for a few years now and has had zero schooling, so take it however you like.

i like the first shot, as almost everyone else apparently does. what i like about it, is how the branches frame the building, and the lines leading towards it and the contrast of color between the snow, branches, and the building. i think i would like it a little bit better if the branches in the foreground were a little further back, but i dont know if you can change the perspective to achieve that, and i know you cant go moving a whole tree.

as for the 2nd shot, like someone else said, the bush in the foreground, IMO, is distracting. maybe a few steps to the left would make a more appealing picture, to me anyways.

Thanks John... I agree with all on the second pic also.... and feel free to throw your 2 cents in the ring anytime.. I appreciate your views!

Thanks John... I agree with all on the second pic also.... and feel free to throw your 2 cents in the ring anytime.. I appreciate your views!

youre welcome.

i originally wasnt going to reply because due to my lack of knowledge and experience compared to most of the members here, i find it hard to critique someones photos that has been "in the business" longer than ive been alive.

also, the thread seemed more like a critiquing of the critique and not the photos themselves, and i didnt want to get or keep anything going.

that being said, i hope you dont let anyones responses to your posts keep you from posting here. i tend to "lurk" a lot more than i post, but im still learning, and a good majority of what ive learned so far, has been from the helpful people here. im pretty sure myself, and many others here like me, can learn a lot from you and others like you that have a wealth of experience and knowledge. i know ive learned a lot more here than i did when i just shot and prayed. i look back at the first images i posted here, and the ones i take now, and couldnt be happier that i found a forum like this thats full of so many intelligent and helpful people.

/"rant" :lol:

Hi John... you don't learn from lurking... the feet gotta get wet!!

I also believe that beginner/ amateur/ and pro is nothing more then a title..

I have been shooting a lot of years, and still learning today.. went from 35mm to medium format and now digital.. you always learn..

one important thing in learning is still pen and pencil/ even though cameras now keep that info stored, its good to write your own notes.. its also good to not give up on a shot, until you feel good about it.. in other words when starting out, get the feedback, weed thru it/ and re shoot.. always good to shoot subjects near to home for this purpose.. if you shoot a subject, your not happy, learn and continue to reshoot it until happy.. to many people starting out scatter there shots and don't take the time to nail one..

ah Well then I won't bother critiquing your stuff since I'm probably not one you would pay any attention to and it would be a waste of both of our times.

The problem with that is that it assumes one can only have insite, if they are accomplished. I note that two people I don't know from adam and one I respect said the same thing about one of my images today. So I suppose only the one i respect knew anything, and the other two just got lucky. I think not. Most likely people can see something and comment on it, then you have to weigh it's value.

I like to think that critique is always positive no matter where it comes from, but also it is just one more opinion but when it reaches concensus level then I have to give it more weight than simply an opinion I don't agree with.

That still does not mean I change my thinking just that I realize how it looks to others.

I didn't say that I agreed with it, only that it was worth quoting. Tactless? Maybe, but I didn't mean for anyone to take it personal.

I'd actually think that there could be a lot to consider.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back