Polarizer & rotating front element

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can I use a circular polarizer on a lense with a front element that rotates when focussing?

Can I hold the filter as the lense rotates, or will it damage the lense?

Cheers :D

250Gimp said:
Can I use a circular polarizer on a lense with a front element that rotates when focussing?

Can I hold the filter as the lense rotates, or will it damage the lense?

Cheers :D

Zoom, focus and then adjust the polarizer.

Kind of a tertiary question, but is it really necessary to get a fancy $100 polarizer? After seeing what they can do I really want one, especially since the east shore of SF is one of my favorite subjects (lots of water reflections), but the 'good' brands are priced pretty high...

--Illah

No, just get a moderately priced circular.

Thanks for the feedback Torus34 & fmw.

Illah, I have a moderatley priced circular polarizer, $60 cdn., and I am really happy with it.

Well the cheapest I can find is a basic Quantaray for $40, then there's the 'Pro' level Quantaray for $70, then the MC and SMC Hoyas for $90 & $100 respectively.

--Illah

I usually go with something that is not the cheapest but not the most expensive. It's not very scientific...but it works.

That's often my approach as well :)

Man, I didn't realize how much filters jump in price as you get bigger until just recently. I was using a 52mm lens for the past few months and never gave the prices a second look since everything was $20-40.

Life would be easier if I was attracted to inexpensive hobbies!

--Illah

Ya, big filters are expensive.

I got lucky at a garage sale this year. I bought a little baggie for $1...it had a 67mm polarizer, a 67mm cross filter, three 46mm filters and a rubber lens hood...not bad for $1.

Something's wrong with prices here. I just bought a 72mm Hoya circular polarizing filter for $34, and that included shipping.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back