Polarizers?

Northernshadow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Recently I have been a little disgusted with some washed out skies so went and got a Polarizer filter (circular). Of course it is really cloudy here today so can't test it out on the sky. :(

I am also curious to try it out on snow scenes this winter...

Anyway, what other situations will it be of use? or would you recommend trying it on?

I use mine for a lot of photos that have a decent amount of water in them. I can set it to remove most if not all the reflection or just a bit. Actually I seem to use it on a lot of different subject matter though.

I use a polarizer with all outdoor color shots as long as I can afford the 2 stops of light it takes.

Anywhere you want to cut reflection on non metalic surfaces. ie:windows, water, glasses etc.

How much did you guys pay for your polarizing filters? I'm looking on B&H and they range from $13 to $230 :(

A linear polarizer (for manual focus) should start out around $15 for 49mm size, and get more expensive as it gets bigger.

A circular polarizer (for auto focus) is usally about double that price.

There are many kinds of special pols, like a warming pol, that can quickly get a lot more expensive.

When it comes to filters that you would use with color film, any filter that guarantees to be 100% color neutral (not affecting the color balance/cast in any way) is going to cost an arm and a leg. The cheaper ones may slightly affect color, but for most photographers' purposes they work fine.

Get a Tiffen or Hoya; they shouldn't be too expensive (unless you need a big diameter), and they work wonderfully.

Most reactions

Back