Polarizers?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Northernshadow, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Northernshadow

Northernshadow TPF Noob!

Recently I have been a little disgusted with some washed out skies so went and got a Polarizer filter (circular). Of course it is really cloudy here today so can't test it out on the sky. :(

I am also curious to try it out on snow scenes this winter...

Anyway, what other situations will it be of use? or would you recommend trying it on?

2. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use mine for a lot of photos that have a decent amount of water in them. I can set it to remove most if not all the reflection or just a bit. Actually I seem to use it on a lot of different subject matter though.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a polarizer with all outdoor color shots as long as I can afford the 2 stops of light it takes.

4. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

Anywhere you want to cut reflection on non metalic surfaces. ie:windows, water, glasses etc.

5. superkentendo

superkentendo TPF Noob!

How much did you guys pay for your polarizing filters? I'm looking on B&H and they range from $13 to $230 :(

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A linear polarizer (for manual focus) should start out around $15 for 49mm size, and get more expensive as it gets bigger.

A circular polarizer (for auto focus) is usally about double that price.

There are many kinds of special pols, like a warming pol, that can quickly get a lot more expensive.

When it comes to filters that you would use with color film, any filter that guarantees to be 100% color neutral (not affecting the color balance/cast in any way) is going to cost an arm and a leg. The cheaper ones may slightly affect color, but for most photographers' purposes they work fine.

Get a Tiffen or Hoya; they shouldn't be too expensive (unless you need a big diameter), and they work wonderfully.