Polarizing filter for 70-200 f/4L

Wheaten59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a polarizing filter for my new lens coming. Do I need to put a good filter on this lens, or will middle of the road be ok? I'm open to all opinions. B+W, Hoya?

Thank you.

That's a very sharp lens, you will probably still have excellent results with a mid-level quality filter. On the other hand, a top end filter might help you get the most out of such a good lens.

My philosophy is usually to avoid the cheapest and the most expensive choices and get something good but that also had good value.

Actually, I got luckey a few week back. I was at a used camera shop and found a 77mm polarizer for $40. :D

Mike,
Would this be a good choice e-bay# 160146398041?

Thanks

I don't actually know all that much about the different brands of filters...but B&W has a great reputation so I would say that's a pretty good filter.

One problem that you may encounter with any polarizing filter and that lens...is when you want to use a lens hood. I believe the lens hood for that lens is fairly deep, which would make it fairly hard to adjust the filter.

Good point and one I haven't thought about.
Thanks Mike.

Dunno if you want to do this, but I actually saw a guy cut a small rectangular notch in the bottom of his hood just in fornt of the bayonet ring to adjust the filter. The hole was just large eoungh to get his finger in and rotate the front element. Was a pretty neat idea and it seemed to work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back