Polarr v Lightroom

You mentioned that you want BW. Try Silver Efex Pro. It's part of a free package by Google that includes a lot of other editing programs for color etc. Silver Efex Pro can run as a sub program to Lightroom or on its own. Good luck.
Google Nik Collection

I am still using the Stand Alone LR version 5.7 so I am not paying a monthly fee. If you don't want a monthly fee then might look at On1. They have a new version that is due around December that will include a file management program. The current version includes layers and a portrait specific tool.

In general if you are using the LR and PS modules on a weekly basis then the subscription offering is worthwhile. If you are just starting out and may skip a few months in using the camera then it might not be the best option.
Did you know that Adobe still sells a standalone LR version 6, without the monthly fee?
I use LR6 along with Photoshop CS6. There are a few limitations in LR6 compared to LR CC, but it is not something you´ll miss unless you see it in some online tutorial that specifically uses that feature. The ones I found so far are dehaze and missing "whites" and "blacks", when working with local adjustments (you are limited to highlights and shadows there).
I purchased the LR6 UPGRADE from LR5 - another thing Adobe hides pretty well on their website.

Thank you for your replies. My partner seems to think that Adobe are just money grabbing! Guess I will stick to Polarr until I get my photography to a decent enough level to warrant paying for LR/PS. Can I also ask if you guys would ever consider using pre-set filters. I'm guessing no! Some of the filters seem to make my pictures look better than I can but then I haven't had much chance/time to properly learn how to use Polarr. Just wandering if it is scorned upon by professionals! Thanks again.
I do use presets - they sometimes save you a lot of time, giving you a direction where you´d like to go. Then I finetune the results.
You can create your own presets btw! The cool thing is - when you create one, you can select which of the settings in the current image you want to apply to your preset. For example you can have a preset that only reduces noise and give it the name of a certain ISO of your camera. So when you open an image shot at ISO400, you just click your preset for "ISO400" and the noise reduction preset is applied, leaving all other settings as they are.
And you can manage your presets in folders, for example having a preset-folder named "Noise reduction".
Lightroom in fact is really, really powerful. A few months ago, I did most of the work in Photoshop, because I didn´t know how capable Lightroom was. Now that has changed a big lot.

I used basic software when I first got back into digital photography. Looking back I worked on knowing the camera and understanding how to properly manage my Aperture, Shutter and ISO controls. After that I tried to get more out of my photos and went RAW then went LightRoom. I tried a few other freebies but LR just stuck and I've been using it ever since. I have the standalone version LR v6.7 now but used v4.4 for years before upgrading. I don't like paying a perpetual lease for something if I don't have to.
Yes think I will work on my camera knowledge for a bit and then buy lightroom rather than get a subscription. Is there much difference in the upgraded version? Thanks for that

Thank you for your replies. My partner seems to think that Adobe are just money grabbing! Guess I will stick to Polarr until I get my photography to a decent enough level to warrant paying for LR/PS. Can I also ask if you guys would ever consider using pre-set filters. I'm guessing no! Some of the filters seem to make my pictures look better than I can but then I haven't had much chance/time to properly learn how to use Polarr. Just wandering if it is scorned upon by professionals! Thanks again.
I do use presets - they sometimes save you a lot of time, giving you a direction where you´d like to go. Then I finetune the results.
You can create your own presets btw! The cool thing is - when you create one, you can select which of the settings in the current image you want to apply to your preset. For example you can have a preset that only reduces noise and give it the name of a certain ISO of your camera. So when you open an image shot at ISO400, you just click your preset for "ISO400" and the noise reduction preset is applied, leaving all other settings as they are.
And you can manage your presets in folders, for example having a preset-folder named "Noise reduction".
Lightroom in fact is really, really powerful. A few months ago, I did most of the work in Photoshop, because I didn´t know how capable Lightroom was. Now that has changed a big lot.
Thanks that's all good to know! Lightroom definitely sounds like the way forward.

I am still using the Stand Alone LR version 5.7 so I am not paying a monthly fee. If you don't want a monthly fee then might look at On1. They have a new version that is due around December that will include a file management program. The current version includes layers and a portrait specific tool.

In general if you are using the LR and PS modules on a weekly basis then the subscription offering is worthwhile. If you are just starting out and may skip a few months in using the camera then it might not be the best option.
Did you know that Adobe still sells a standalone LR version 6, without the monthly fee?
I use LR6 along with Photoshop CS6. There are a few limitations in LR6 compared to LR CC, but it is not something you´ll miss unless you see it in some online tutorial that specifically uses that feature. The ones I found so far are dehaze and missing "whites" and "blacks", when working with local adjustments (you are limited to highlights and shadows there).
I purchased the LR6 UPGRADE from LR5 - another thing Adobe hides pretty well on their website.
Thank for you for that, it's been so useful joining this forum!

You mentioned that you want BW. Try Silver Efex Pro. It's part of a free package by Google that includes a lot of other editing programs for color etc. Silver Efex Pro can run as a sub program to Lightroom or on its own. Good luck.
Google Nik Collection
Thanks Alan, I will definitely check that out.

I used basic software when I first got back into digital photography. Looking back I worked on knowing the camera and understanding how to properly manage my Aperture, Shutter and ISO controls. After that I tried to get more out of my photos and went RAW then went LightRoom. I tried a few other freebies but LR just stuck and I've been using it ever since. I have the standalone version LR v6.7 now but used v4.4 for years before upgrading. I don't like paying a perpetual lease for something if I don't have to.
Yes think I will work on my camera knowledge for a bit and then buy lightroom rather than get a subscription. Is there much difference in the upgraded version? Thanks for that

There's slight difference between the standalone versus subscription version of LR. The standalone version is around $145.00. We can assume that as time passes the differences between the two versions will increase. Adobe has made the standalone version of LR difficult to purchase or at least they push you the other way. Have to wonder when the default version will disappear.

Don't close this door yet. Yes LR and Photoshop are the default industry standards. There are compelling reasons to use the same thing everyone else uses. However that doesn't mean that's the only option. Think about other things that are the default or most used versions of things. Are they also always the best? Most everybody drives a Toyota, Honda, Ford, or similar. That means an Audi or Mercedes is a worse automobile, right?

There are lots of software options out there and as you learn you'll become able to investigate those options and make an informed choice. I spent most of my day yesterday using LR on campus where I teach photo -- it's the default standard after all. But this morning at home working on my own photos..... LR isn't installed on my computer at home as I have no use for it.

Joe

There's slight difference between the standalone versus subscription version of LR. The standalone version is around $145.00. We can assume that as time passes the differences between the two versions will increase. Adobe has made the standalone version of LR difficult to purchase or at least they push you the other way. Have to wonder when the default version will disappear.

Don't close this door yet. Yes LR and Photoshop are the default industry standards. There are compelling reasons to use the same thing everyone else uses. However that doesn't mean that's the only option. Think about other things that are the default or most used versions of things. Are they also always the best? Most everybody drives a Toyota, Honda, Ford, or similar. That means an Audi or Mercedes is a worse automobile, right?

There are lots of software options out there and as you learn you'll become able to investigate those options and make an informed choice. I spent most of my day yesterday using LR on campus where I teach photo -- it's the default standard after all. But this morning at home working on my own photos..... LR isn't installed on my computer at home as I have no use for it.

Joe

So, what do you use at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe

I chose the right software for the job. Usually Capture One but depending on what I need to accomplish I may instead select Photo Ninja or DX0 or RT or something else.

Joe

Joe

Joe

I chose the right software for the job. Usually Capture One but depending on what I need to accomplish I may instead select Photo Ninja or DX0 or RT or something else.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I didn't realised there were so many options. Can you recommend a good online course by any chance? Not for a complete beginner. Thanks

Joe

Joe

Do you happen to have a resource that explains which software excels at which job?

Joe

Joe

Joe
Thanks Joe, I didn't realised there were so many options. Can you recommend a good online course by any chance? Not for a complete beginner. Thanks

Good online course? Not really. What little I have seen from Kelby was too full of errors. I signed up for a trial once with Lynda.com and found a few decent tutorials but also some bad stuff. Part of the problem is me however. A lot of folks are basically happy with stuff like "the exposure triangle" and "ISO increases noise" and "telephoto lenses compress perspective" and well it's a long list..... Maybe it's OK to learn all twisted up and backwards if you can still make it work and I should just loosen up but I'm too old for that.

Joe

Joe

Joe

Do you happen to have a resource that explains which software excels at which job?

Not from any unified source. There are lots of reviews and comparisons out there. For example I just stumbled on this one the other day: Trouble is you can't always trust the competence of the reviewers and often a review will have a different set of expectations than what you're looking for. dpreview.com is a good resource overall.

Otherwise you can always ask here. Got a specific question?

Joe

Most reactions

Back