police scanner info

eyeman85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need to by a police scanner, most likely on Ebay. I know nothing about them and what to buy. Does anyone know the basics on what I should be looking for?

Thanks
Greg
http://gregeiman.com

Go to Radio Shack. The people there are pretty knowledgeable about them (or at least, they used to be - haven't been there in a while).

They can set it up for you, and they usually have a few books on them too.

That makes sense... Signup to a photography forum to ask about a Radio device...

Well... I bought a scanner...
Most police stations have encrypted their broadcasts now
so you need a high dynamic power band to listen in...
they dont come cheap, try about 100 - 200 quid

I actually still have my radio from EMS days with the whole NYC's Emergency Services on it.

Radio Shack .... if you dont' know anything about them. - Better deals online if you know what you want... Smaller towns - pretty much any scanner will pick up emergency services .... Larger town - may be "Trunked" and you'd need a 'trunking' scanner .... That's why you need a place like rat shack....

Good Luck...

To get the best continuity of broadcasts you'll need a triple trunking scanner since most communications by public service uses the same system as cell phones and the scanner needs to 'follow' the broadcast and not loose each time.

Yup, Radio shack. Id go there for advice and then get the better deal on ebay.

That makes sense... Signup to a photography forum to ask about a Radio device...

It may sound strange, but if you look at his site you'll see why there's a relevance between a police scanner and photography for him. I also had a scanner when I was looking for work in the newspapers.

Trunk scanners are needed and you may still run into encrypted stuff and that is the good stuff. I know a while ago when I worked on the street that the serious stuff was either sent by cell or by encrypted radio transmission. Big agencies have issues with communication though and may not do that a regularly but some of there stuff still might be.

Radio Shack does have good scanners and is a good place to buy one. But, before you go in, call your local police/fire department and ask for specifics on what you will need to listen in. They will tell you as it's public information. Each department uses different frequencies and settings so you will want to know what they are before you go into buy one. Plus, I would rather get it straight from the police rather than a guy working at Radio Shack (not to say he/she might not know.)

If the police are in the middle of a pursuit or a serious engagement, they work on a tactical channel which you will not be able to pick up. But, you will be able to listen into the dispatch, which can give you a heads up to events happening early.

Oh, this brings me back to my days as cub newspaper photographer. I used to sleep with the scanner on in my bedroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back