POLL: Lug around camera bag everywhere? Yes or No?

Do you bring your camera everywhere you go just in case?

• Keep my camera bag with me at all times.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Only bring my camera bag when I'm specifically going out to shoot.

Votes: 40 71.4%

• Total voters
I voted that I take my camera bag with me only when I go out to shoot.
It's not that I don't want a camera with me at all times; but that if one is going on foot or is doing other things I find that a big DSLR bag with camera and lenses tends to get in the way. You end up not taking it out (because you'r travelling or doing other things) or if you do its a heavy necklace that doesn't do much because you're doing those other things.

It also depends what you like to shoot - macro and wildlife my bag and setup can be quite big and heavy so I don't want the super telephoto when I've got books or other things to carry.

Now if I had a point and shoot that I lked I'd probably take that; indeed mirrorless is fast becoming a good support choice for "well featured like a DSLR, but much smaller" desires by many. IT's not as big, bulky nor imposing and a modest setup is smaller than a DSLR. Yeah it costs the same (if not more) but it at least means that you've got something capable that isn't vast in size.

Typically, I only take my camera/camera bag when I know I'm going to shoot; otherwise, I don't want to deal with the size/weight. On vacation especially, if I'm not planning on any shots in particular, I have a nice point and shoot that works well enough for me.

I do both. I bring a lot of gear with me in the truck, then only lug around what I'm going to use for the moment. Then maybe go back to the truck and grab something else for a particular shot I found.

I have several bags of gear and a backpack. The backpack gets loaded with whatever I need for the type of shoot I expect to be doing (Street walk - one set; family gathering - another set, work shoot - still another set, and so on). No point in lugging around more than you're likely to need.

I used to keep my bag in my car most of the time....but now I rely on my iPhone camera for everyday pictures and videos with the family, etc.

Not being a professional photographer and carrying around a DSLR with big lenses etc get me the weirdest looks and attention I don't like, lol. If a friend or family member is having a small event, I'll bring it along and take some pics for them (if asked to)...but then you get treated like paid help (by their guests). Take a picture of us! Here take a picture of my kids!! UGH! I'm trying to eat my food just like you lady, you're kids aren't that cute! Then the flip side of that is: If you don't want to get treated like a paid photographer, don't walk around like one....

Which do you do?

Both.

The big camera bag only goes out when I'm purposely planning to use it. The little camera bag (case) holds small compact camera that is always with me.

Joe

O.K. so I may not take my camera bag if I go out to pick up some groceries. But like a photographer friend said twenty five years ago, "If I can't take a camera then why go".

I voted that I take my camera bag with me only when I go out to shoot.
It's not that I don't want a camera with me at all times; but that if one is going on foot or is doing other things I find that a big DSLR bag with camera and lenses tends to get in the way. You end up not taking it out (because you'r travelling or doing other things) or if you do its a heavy necklace that doesn't do much because you're doing those other things.

It also depends what you like to shoot - macro and wildlife my bag and setup can be quite big and heavy so I don't want the super telephoto when I've got books or other things to carry.

Now if I had a point and shoot that I lked I'd probably take that; indeed mirrorless is fast becoming a good support choice for "well featured like a DSLR, but much smaller" desires by many. IT's not as big, bulky nor imposing and a modest setup is smaller than a DSLR. Yeah it costs the same (if not more) but it at least means that you've got something capable that isn't vast in size.
Same here. I have a life and it doesn't include photography every waking minute. Besides some people in some situations get rather upset if you pull out a camera and start shooting. No one needs a shutter bug in the board room, church service, doctors office etc and if something happens that might be worth recording in one of those it generally will also be something you want to run the hell away from.

I pretty much carry mine with me all the time. I may only have a single body and lens in a small messenger style bag or I have a backpack with pretty much everything.

What Sparky said...exactly.

I have a Fuji X100T that pretty much goes with me everywhere. I'll also often carry the conversion 50mm (equivalent) lens if I have a small messenger bag. If that's too big, I also have a Nikon Coolpix A, which is an awful name but is essentially a D7000 with a 18mm f/2.8 prime attached to it, but in the size of a point and shoot.

I only take out my DSLR if I have a something planned I'm going to use it for.

Camera bag only comes out with me when I'm specifically going out to shoot. I'll often have a camera close at hand, however. I've got several very portable cameras that are easy to throw into a purse and pull out if I feel the urge to take some pictures. The Rollei 35 is perfect for this, for example. Small, even has a collapsible lens that makes it easier to fit into a pocket or purse. Though it's surprisingly heavy considering how little it is :)

I'm just curious...what is there to disagree with in this post?
upload_2015-5-4_11-27-14.png

Most reactions

Back