poor bear shots

Well, I don't think any of these is "poor quality".
No!
For bears "just popping up in front of you" they are really GOOD.
And no, there would not be time to change lenses... I mean, you needed to have the presence of mind to understand what was happening right in front of your eyes, decide to capture it on film for eternity, and still judge the situation right, i.e. is it do-able to take a photo or should I rather withdraw with as much care as possible?

And I don't know where you "met" that other "beast", but that photo is ALSO very green and therefore ALSO one of my favourites!

Since you are still around to go sifting through your archives, I assume you also survived the meeting of that big-mouth-reptile, without losing neither limbs nor cameras to its being hungry!?!?!? Good for you.

Even better for us! :hugs:

Antarctican : no actually I was using my monopod for that, so I could not take a picture at the same time :p
LaFoto : they are far from the optimum, the first one was late evening, so it was rather dark and the shot was without a tripod. The second one was right in the woods, again, very dark and no tripod. If I had been given just slightly more time, I could have done much better ;)
Yes, and I survived it all :) ... I still think living in civilised parts of the world is more life-threatening than the wilderness: I remember moments on German motorways where I was in more danger than anywere else.

Oh yes, DO watch out on the German Autobahnen!
Especially when there's this mad-woman out and about in her blue-silver beemer! :greenpbl: (But she only rarely finds her way back to where she hails from, i.e. only about 80 km north of Düsseldorf).

I dunno, considering the situation I think they're pretty darn good. I really like that first one. Even if the exposure is a bit off, the deep colors and the cute scene make up for it.

I've been hiking many times in Bear Country, USA. Fortunately the closest I've gotten is a still steaming pile of huckleberry laden bear scat. Needless to say we didn't pick berries in that area. ;)

Mohain: Thanks :)

Taceas: Thanks :) Jes, I know I was pretty lucky in a sense to run into them. Talked to several people who spent years in that part of Algonquin, and never saw a bear there... and I got 4 of them on close distance within 3 days ... Actually, just after the bear on the first picture dissappeard in the woods, a family of human tourists appeard behind me, chatting and walking making loud noises. I guess they never will see one :p
I told them what sight they just missed by 30 seconds, but they would not believe it :p

good stuff there Alex

thanks :) .. guess i better dig out some more wild animals to inspire more of this "you are a nuts to get that close" discussions ;)

^^^ please do!
gen135.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back