Poor Man's Holy Trinity - Relatively Speaking

D90, and I want fast glass... If I shoot at f/3.5 or f/4 I want it to be by choice, not because that's as open as it gets. :D

I can't afford the Nikon setup so here's what I'm thinking...

Sigma

I'm not a pro, or even a serious amateur - but I do enjoy my hobby and want the best I can afford.

Right now I have the Sigma 18-250 which I love but I am going to have to sell to get my new trio.

Sigma 14-24 f/2.8 (Do they even make one?)
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

OR

I am thinking I may be able to get by with a duo...

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

I don't think I'd miss that 51-69 range, but it's not as complete either.

Anyone have either setup that can push me one way or the other? I do find myself shooting wider than 24 quite often which is why I'd go with the 18-50 over the 24-70 in a 2 lens setup.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

EDIT
Looks like Sigma answered my question - it appears they don't make a 14-24 or 12-24 lens in an f/2.8 so I'll be going with the 18-50 and 70-200.

I can't wait!

If you are going for 3rd parties, get the tokina wide angle lens.

As for the long lens. I have the 80-200 f/2.8 Nikon for about 9-10 years now and its still a great lens. Since your going with or have a screwdriver body, I would think it would be a better choice over the Sigma.

I have 3 third party lenses. 2 Tokina's (Nikon flavor) and 1 Sigma (Canon flavor). All 3 of them are soft at f/2.8. Beyond that they are good lenses. Just calling them f/2.8's really not true. They just have a f/2.8 setting. Outside of f/2.8 I have no complaints against any of them. My Nikon f/2.8's are definately sharper wide open. They are not horrable but there is a difference you can see on the monitor. Prints may not show the softness deppending on size and of course distance from viewing.

Going by that I would choose the screwdriver Nikon 80-200 over the quieter and possibly faster AF Sigma 70-200.

Most reactions

Back