poorly lit room

Jaybeef

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
in a poorly lighted room how would you increase detail in the background if you subject was less then 10 feet away and the only equipment you had was a camera and a handheld electronic strobe. applying for a job and this is a question need help on it please.

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

On one hand, I'm not sure it's ethical to give you answers to a quiz that you are taking for a job. On the other hand, in real world experience...when you don't know how to do something...the best thing to do is ask someone.

One thing you could do, would be to use a slower shutter speed. Sometimes called dragging the shutter. This will allow the ambient light to expose the background while your flash illuminates your subject.

Another thing you might do, would be to aim the flash as to bounce the light off of something...ideally the wall and/or ceiling behind you. That way, the light will bounce back and light up the subject with soft light and give more exposure to the background than if you had just fired the flash right at the subject.

in a poorly lighted room how would you increase detail in the background if you subject was less then 10 feet away and the only equipment you had was a camera and a handheld electronic strobe. applying for a job and this is a question need help on it please.

thanks

Heya Jaybeef, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
I see you started the same thread in two different forums.
I merged them into one for you --- and that one thread will now move to The Beginners' Place. I think there it is best placed.

The simple answer is raise the ISO on your digital camera. That will cause the direct flash to extend to the background detail in the room.

On a number of cameras there is also a night portrait mode with background. That is also a simple possibility.

skieur

The simple answer is raise the ISO on your digital camera. That will cause the direct flash to extend to the background detail in the room.
Good answer.

my first few minutes here and i love the braintrust

If there is anything to rest the camera on (Furniture , door post etc. This will steady you for a longer exposure. DO NOT go for a wider apperture as this will throw the bacground out of focus (although you may get away with useing hyperfocal technique to enlarge the depth of field ... The depth of field goes from aprox 1/3rd in front to aprox 2/3rds behind. If you focus slightly behind the subject then the background may be in focus enough to discern detail. Works best with narrow appertures).

Any answer that permits more light to get into your lens globally will do the trick.

- increase artificial light
- decrease shutter speed
- increase ISO.
- A combination of the above

My answer? Tell the man to go get himself some proper light bulbs for his house, its dark in there! lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back