pop quiz

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I'm no longer in business I generally try to stay away from this thread. This morning over my crispy bran flakes with dried fruit, I had a thought. I would love to reveal it all but it would ruin the question and prejudice the answers.

So her goes.. Sally Martin a Local Real Estate agent calls you. She wants a portrait and wants you to do it. She has seen your web site and has a friend for who you have done work. She states that she will be there at 3pm.

Three PM Sally shows up. She is dressed in a simple dress with buttons up the front and simple jewelry.

After you greet her what is your first question. Im going to make this easy a multiple choice question.

1. How would you like to handle the charges?
2. What kind of image would you like your portrait to present
3. Is there any feature you would like to emphasize or downplay.
4. So Sally are you married?

The honest answer should tell something about you. So who is willing to answer what would you ask first. The question might be phrased differently but thats pretty much the gist of the beginnings I think

I'm going to have to go with number two because most people have an idea about what type of "story" the portrait is telling about them. The photographer would not know this...

This is a trick questions ;) I always talk about the charges before I meet with the client, they are listed on my website and typically that is their first question when they call :lol: . I am stuck between #4 (I wouldn't ask if they were married :p but some small talk to get them relaxed before shooting) and #2 because I do think it's important to know what they client wants to protray if it's headshots for a business client.

LOL interesting post mysteryscribe. I've never been paid for any type of photography (yet... knock on wood).

I would have to say #1 though I'd phrase it differently. The reasoning is that from a business point of view I'd want to be on the same page about the entire experience right away (and cost is a big part of the process). It might be uncomfortable but it would be a hell of a lot better than shooting an entire session than possibly shocking her with a huge bill.

#2 I would think the photographer should know. You said she's in real estate so the pic would just need to make her look friendly and relatively conforming.

#3 Again, the photographer should know this without asking. If she has a huge beak of a nose I don't think you need to ask her to realize she wouldn't want it emphasized.

#4 This would naturally be my 2nd question. :lol: ... ideally while doing a David Hasselhoff impression. Jk... don't know where that came from...

Michael Humle said:
I'm going to have to go with number two because most people have an idea about what type of "story" the portrait is telling about them. The photographer would not know this...
+1

Well I always start with #2 to get them comfortable, but #1 happens before the lights go on!

#3 I don't usually ask - women are forward about this most of the time.

#4 happens if she's cute. :lol:

#2.......never assume anything, and first rule of sales is to ask enough questions to find out the needs and wants of your customers.

So what's the answer Mysteryscribe? I'd like to be able to sleep tonite without this hanging over my head!!! :lol:

The answer is as Alison said a trick question any of them are right....

If you are a business man. you want to get the money down first because you have no doubt the rest is easy...

If you are a story teller with a camera first, you want to know what the the lady want to say.

If you are a technition you want to decide how best to hide a blemish, which she might be self conscious about. Don't laugh I had a customer who asked about her turkey waddle before anything else.

And last if you are a psycho- photo person you want to bond with the customer so you can recognize the look that is most like her. Every customer if you talk to them will have different expressions as they go along. Also you can direct those thoughts to some extent.

Each and everyone is right and none are wrong. So all of you get a pat on the back.

First of all the client never gets to sit on the same day that they call. It has been my experience that the client always shows up unprepared and flustered. Charges are always handled well in advance. Only questions I have is studio or location. At that point I explain how the shoot will go down: standard shots first then it is time to explore and have fun. Proud to say that the client rarely picks the "standard" shots. I never hit on the subject. Now art directors or whatever standing over my shoulder are a different story. I have shot a lot of Real Estate execs and it is really difficult.

Once again I think I failed to answer the question.

Most reactions

Back