pop up flash trigger ???

gravity0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In a previous thread (before it got locked) someone mentioned the only thing the pop up flash is for is for a trigger. My question is how would this work? In my eyes the popup will flash signalling a remote to flash but this is still using the popup flash no?? Someone help a noob out?

:cheers:

I didn't see the other but I assume the person meant that some external flashes can be triggered by the light from the pop-up flash.

Yes, the other flashes will "see" the light from the pop-up flash and fire. They will be bright enough that the pop-up flash won't "mess up" the picture.

...Very basic explanation, but you get the idea.

^^^ just adding to Josh's comment a bit... the external flashes will tend to overpower the built-in flash, though the built-in can and does contribute a small amount. I usually crank the power way down on the built-in just to be sure.

Sometimes the pop up flash will cause a little catch light in the eyes of someone, and this may or may not be wanted. But there should be a way to have the pop up flash fire but not simultaneously as the shutter and you will not see this annoying catchlight.

The pop-up flash is also useful for fill-flash when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight.

Most reactions

Back