Portable Picture Vault Recommendations

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to get one of these portable hard drives that allow you to transfer your pictures off to them.

Ideally, I'd like to have a color screen and support for Nikon RAW images off my D300, but that's probably not SUPER critical.

I don't want to spend trillions of dollars, but want something sturdy and reliable.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

This one looked interesting, but I have no clue...

Sanho | 120GB HyperDrive COLORSPACE O Portable | SAHDCSO120

By the way, the ability to plug a USB CABLE into it, instead of unplugging my compact flash card would be VERY VERY nice.

Just get a pocket PC with a good sized hard drive. The Acer Aspire is only $500 CDN and it's a fully functional laptop with 100GB HD.

Yeah, those portable hard drives designed to take photos straight off a card are WAY overpriced. You can buy 250 GB of regular drive for the price of the one you linked to -- just buy a regular one, copy files to your computer, and back up to your drive (back up more than just your files, too).

Well, I was kind of doing this to avoid having anything quite so "dramatic" as a PC with me (even one of the smaller ones). I do have a 14" laptop that I tend to carry around in my bag, but was looking for something way way way WAY smaller. (plus would make the wife happy to know I don't have a PC on me) :lol:

i second what mike said.. get a pocket pc or something like that... they work really well... and i can totally agree with you on "making the wife happy knowing my mac isnt with me) she hates that i always have it...

My advice is to get a external hard drive. I use a regular external hard drive and it supports RAW images, and it only cost me $94.00. Is 750gb...

My advice is to get a external hard drive. I use a regular external hard drive and it supports RAW images, and it only cost me $94.00. Is 750gb...

A portable one? How do you sync images off your camera without a computer involved?

Do you really have to back up in the field? And do you really not want a laptop with you? If those are your main buying points, then the thing you originally linked to IS perfect for you. However, I have to question if you really need an IMMEDIATE backup... you can save a LOT of cash by just getting an external hard drive and backing up next time you're near a computer.

I have an Epson P5000. Wouldnt be without it. It has since been replaced by the 7000, but same product nevertheless.

Epson P-7000 Multimedia Photo Viewer, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

VERY nice, but obviously also pretty expensive.

Do you really have to back up in the field? And do you really not want a laptop with you? If those are your main buying points, then the thing you originally linked to IS perfect for you. However, I have to question if you really need an IMMEDIATE backup... you can save a LOT of cash by just getting an external hard drive and backing up next time you're near a computer.

Consider what would happen if you were in a hotel and had no computer available to you, though.

And yes, on occasion, I do exceed the capacity of the memory card and need to backup in the field, though admittedly this is VERY rare since I have an 8 gig CF card. Really the primary issue is no access to a real computer under many circumstances.

Consider the p-3000 for half the price and 40GB (from BH). I shoot with an 8GB card as well. Price the viewer into several jobs. It sounds like you need something!

VERY nice, but obviously also pretty expensive.

Consider what would happen if you were in a hotel and had no computer available to you, though.

And yes, on occasion, I do exceed the capacity of the memory card and need to backup in the field, though admittedly this is VERY rare since I have an 8 gig CF card. Really the primary issue is no access to a real computer under many circumstances.

You want to know what I do in that case, I always have 6 memory cards 8gig's each. When I arrive home I download them into the computer. Is a non expensive way to get all the images you want, also in case you have a card problem, you will have others available to continue your project...

I have been using a 9" Aspire One Laptop.
It has about 6 hours of batty life doing transfers and 160 Gig drive.
It has been wonderful, I can back up in the field and check the pics on a larger screen.
because it if a full laptop I can do anything I need to. The reason we went this way is that we are often no where near a computer during a shoot and although we carry 8 memory cards we have been known to fill them in one day depending on what we are shooting. It is also nice to be able to create a backup of critical work in the field.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back