Portable Studio Lighting

Shona

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My work is always on location as I dont have access to a studio and want to look into getting some portable studio lighting but have no idea where to start. Im after something cheap to start of with, which i can build up in time. There are so many, i just dont know whats right for me.

... look specifically for the Lighting 101 and 102 links.

Do you want small lights (Nikon/Canon speedlights), portable/battery lights, such as the Lumedynes, combo AC/Battery lights, such as the Alien Bees or AC power lights such at those made by ProFoto?

The Strobist (www.strobist.com) is a good source, but also check out www.dg28.com by Neil Turner in the UK. Neil is fantastic. \

100% of my editorial and corporate work, as well as personal commissions, is location work. I personally use two basic kits, one is two Nikon SB-28dx speedlights, offset with two Canon 580ex speedlights ; the other kit is two 800w/s Lumedyne heads,with packs. They do very different jobs for me, but they can also be combined for primary and secondary lighting set ups.

Knowing this basic info will help in creating a solution that would work for you

-Fish

I'm with Fish...there are two main types of flash lighting. Small battery powered flash units and AC powered studio lights. They each have pros & cons.

I have a set of studio lights that I'll take to client's homes and set up...but I've also got several small flash units that I can set up anywhere.

Honestly, all off camera lighting just... rules. :D

Getting the flash OFF the camera is the first step to getting some really improved pictures. On camera flash is a gift from satan... lol.

If you are always on location I would suggest Strobist as well. You can pick up a few manual flashes anywhere from $50 to around $120 (vivitar 285's are around $85) some cables or ebay triggers (start around $30) and some light stands and umbrella mounts and you are on your way. Just a qwick over view of price you can get a good start with manual flashes and every thing you need for $500.00 or less. If you upgrade to better wireless or flashes and so forth you can really increase your price.

I just took the plunge today and ordered the Vivitar 285 flash Portrait package from gadgetinfinity. I also added 2 hotshoe adapters, all shipped and done for $335. I already had a couple of light stands and umbrellas, which you can get cheap from Adorama or B&H, and I am well under $500 total. I look forward to trying my new "mini studio" lighting for some christmas pictures of the family. The whole works should fit into a medium sized tripod bag, so it is very portable as well.

Most reactions

Back