Portaits-lens: wich one for THIS kinda of portrait?

YoungRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

I'm currently using a Rebel XTi (400D) and I totally want/need a good portrait-lens...

I'm a little stuck in between two lenses:
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM

Following I give two links for the kind of portraits I'd like to shoot:
Portrait#1
Portrait#2

I'm more a beginner but this is what I'd like to train myself in, so it would be more than nice if anyone could help me a little chosing a lense...

Thanks
Pat

Those pictures are more about post-processing than the lens.

Ok, post-processing is for sure neccessary, but it's about the distance and
"how much person fills the frame" what I'm wondering about....

So, if anyone has tried it out with one of those lenses, tipps are more than welcome ;)

Depth, bokeh, sharpness-range, distance to object (person).....etc

The 85mm will get you results that are a little closer to those images. Each of them was shot from some distance, I'd guess at least 10-15 meters away.

I like my 50mm and am glad I went with hit because some times I am in smaller rooms and can't move back any further.

Just thought I might go with the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L too, so I might have the 85mm lens "included" in it !?
So the 50mm f/1.4 would be the better choice then...?

How far do you think you gotta stay away from the person with the 50mm to get a portrait like in the shots in my links?

Thanks a lot
Pat

Who knows, it could be cropped, I don't know what the distances were, but probably not very close up. A wider angle starts rendering the face slightly distorted.

The Rebel Xti has a smaller-than-full sensor, so there is something called a crop factor. The 50mm f/1.4 is a great lens, and on your camera creates images that are cropped like they were taken with an 80mm lens.

Yes, the 70-200 obviously crosses that 85mm mark - but the 85mm stops down (up?) to f/1.8 making it a much faster lens - it just changes the kind of shot you'd be getting. More importantly, you work differently with a prime lens, it's a much more involved and interactive way of shooting (for my taste.)

@Iron: Erstmal ein herzliches Moin-Moin aus Hamburg ;)

yeah, with the crop-factor of 1.6x it is getting a little closer...

I think I'll test the ranges on my zoom-lens the next days a little and see what lens 50/85mm fits me the best...

I kinda think it's cool to be "forced" to find a way of shooting (you are the zoom) your object with a fixed lens...not just zOOOOm....

OMG, it is just so tough to think about were to put the money in to...;)

Thanks so far guys..

Honestly I think you can achieve the images you presented with either lens you named. Good glass is the first step to sharp images like those you preented. The logical next step is a good knowledge of lighting and exposure as both of the images you linked to are very well exposed.

judging from the compression shown in the second one...that's a pretty long lens...the 85 would be closer to what you're looking for I would think.

The 70-200 is a great portrait lens at the 70 end. I love using it.

Most reactions

Back