Portfolio for a job?

Renol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I was recently contacted for a job interview for a beginner/entry level position at a photo studio. They don't require any photography experience, but I included a link to my portfolio (such that it is) in my cover letter. The response didn't mention anything about it but I'm wondering if I should consider making up something to take with me for the interview anyways.

The job is primarily taking and selling portraits as I understand it. Any basic advice would be appreciated.

I would take one anyway. Better to have one and not need to show it then not have one and be asked for one.

is the job at sears?

Its not at Sears but pretty comparable. Its a studio shop front at a mini-mall. Their big seller point is walk in the door, walk out an hour later with photos in hand.

I had thought my pictures were good...but after having been around here for a few weeks and read critiques and seen some on my own work they're not as good as I once thought. That's kinda why I was wondering. I suppose it wouldn't hurt though...

Its not at Sears but pretty comparable. Its a studio shop front at a mini-mall. Their big seller point is walk in the door, walk out an hour later with photos in hand.

I had thought my pictures were good...but after having been around here for a few weeks and read critiques and seen some on my own work they're not as good as I once thought. That's kinda why I was wondering. I suppose it wouldn't hurt though...

The reason why they don't require experience, and why you shouldn't worry too much about your photos not looking like some of the ones here is that you'll be doing some very basic portraits at a place like you described. Their selling point is not jaw-dropping pictures, it's decent looking pictures that you can get in >1 hour. The great studio shots that are posted here have been taken in a photoshoot that can be take 1-3 hours for the actual shots, then a couple more of PP them.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to get the best products you can, but you also cannot compare them to results you get at a studio that invests more time in the photoshoot.

Most reactions

Back