Portfolio (print) Europe

DigitalDiva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Been a while since I've been on here but I remembered the helpful people here and thought I'd ask...

I have a job interview on Monday for a product photographer position. Could be a great opportunity. My portfolio is kind of sloppy so I thought I'd spend the coming days making sure it's spruced up.

My questions are:

What size photos should I print? I'm assuming A4 at a minimum. I do my own printing.

Does an employer look at the book (outside) because mine will be rather basic with a protective sheet between each photo. It's not sloppy but it's a book I spent about 30 Euros on so nothing fancy like leather.

How much is enough to show? I have quite a few photos to show but I don't want to do overkill (or underkill). About 10-15? ??

Any input greatly appreciated.

Go for 20 tops, if your not sure about an image leave it out, A4 should be fine, I used a plastic folder for my "book" so not really, its contents need to be A1 quality though, also put some exceptional work beginning, middle and end, its all about impressions so get them interested, have them yearning for more and finally leave em gagging, good luck, glad I'm not that soldier anymore. H

A4 seems right, unless the products will be presented larger in-store. In that case you might consider bringing three different sizes of two or three pertinent shots, and having a discussion about sharpening. The client should know that you're aware of sharpening requirements. You need different approaches for images that are viewed at arm's length (A4) or from a few feet away (A2 or just A3) and of course huge billboard size. Check out Nik Sharpener Pro. It seems expensive at first glance, but is dead easy to use (you can preset viewing distances, only sharpen certain colors, spec the paper, and much much more.) It costs about as much as a cheap lens, but is worth A LOT more. Free 15 day trial ;-)

Dunno about the actual portfolio. Part of me hopes that a client is smart enough to just look at the work... but the other part of me is the fashion victim, and I always want my overall appearance to be perfect.

Thanks for the advice, gents. VERY much appreciated.

I had a short talk with the owner of the studio and he has said that a lot will be product shots and some model shots. This is a full-time gig for me and if I can paid FINALLY for doing what I love and trained so hard to do, I will be one happy woman.

I'm sitting here looking at my book and it's not bad. I'm not going to some HUGE agency. I'm going to a local agency quite south of Amsterdam that is serious, but I'm not sure just how serious. The book will be clean, high quality (I print on Ilford pearl paper) and will highlight my product and model shots. I'm very much a fine art photographer who has done product work before..so I hope they don't rule me out because I'm too fine art. We shall see! I have a good feeling about it, so that's a start.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back