Portfolio Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Aayria, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been trying to trim back my portfolio lately to just show the pictures I'm the most happy with. I've also completely re-done the website in the past few weeks as a part of this process. But I am feeling like there are just too many pictures in the portfolio section of my website.

I've narrowed it down quite a bit, even though there are still TONS of pictures there... and I was thinking maybe with some outside perspective from people who aren't as attatched to my earlier work as I am I might be able to get the number down to an even more manageable size.

I don't ussually ask people to just click on links, but if you have the time at all I'd love to hear feedback if you see anything in particular you think could be *cut* from the portfolio section of my website. I also wondered if the sub-sections I've divided it into work well, or if you think it might be cleaner/nicer to just have one main portfolio hodge-podge of work?

Thanks so much if you take the time to visit.. the website is in my signature =)

2. Lazy Photographer

Lazy Photographer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No comment on the size of your portfolio, I'm afraid, but the photos on your site are really terrific. I got caught up watching the slide show and never did get to deep into the portfolio. You're very talented.

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you need to try something different because most of them has the same style of very narrow depth of field

4. Morpheuss

Morpheuss TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't stand afghanistan internet... i click on the link in your signature and it just comes up as a white page and doesn't load....grrrrr

5. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the way your sections are set up. I like your website.
    As far as your pictures, your newer ones by far are more impactful than the softer ones of the past IMO. I'm not saying get rid of all of them but if you really had the chance to redo them, would you? Maybe those are the ones you now see as not meeting your higher standards.

6. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see what you're saying.. and it's something I'm working on. Trying to get out of my comfort zone and try some shots I wouldn't normally think of. But in the mean time, being what I'm most familiar with, the majority of work I always end up liking the most comes back to that style.

I would absolutely redo sooo many of them. Especially the whole section labled "celebration." I've only had the chance to shoot one quinceanera and one baptism...both of which I did the first weekend my 50mm came in the mail lol. But they work for now until I get my feet wet with some more event photography, but maybe you're saying if I'm not totally happy with them I could cut the whole event/ "celebration" section for now?

Thanks so much for everybody who took the time to drop by, and for the kind words! Your support really means a lot =)

7. vtf

vtf No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would absolutely redo sooo many of them. Especially the whole section labled "celebration." I've only had the chance to shoot one quinceanera and one baptism...both of which I did the first weekend my 50mm came in the mail lol. But they work for now until I get my feet wet with some more event photography, but maybe you're saying if I'm not totally happy with them I could cut the whole event/ "celebration" section for now?

Thanks so much for everybody who took the time to drop by, and for the kind words! Your support really means a lot =)[/QUOTE]

I would keep it right now if thats all you have for that section so people still know you do it. As you improve and get better images from more events then yes eliminate the poorer shots.
    Your shots are so improved I've been trying to practice on the same processes.
    I've actually seen photography sites that have an archive section for the older shots. A then and now section so to speak.

8. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Flash websites are good for some and terrible for others. Your opening page takes too long to open...I would work on that first. Remember there are people out there that cannot access flash, something to think about.

I would limit each portion of your portfolio to 10 images, this will force you to use just the best images. Remember again, not all people are going to see your web pages as you do. Have you optimized for the different providers?

If you still want to have "more" images, then add a page for misc images - remember that people are going to judge your talent based on the QUALITY of your images.

9. OrionsByte

OrionsByte No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd have to agree that that section is the weakest of the bunch, but overall I really like the way your site is set up and I really don't think you need to drop too many pictures. If someone was looking at your portfolio it would probably be for a specific reason, i.e. they need a baby photographer or family photographer, so the way your site is set up really lends itself to that.

If someone is looking at your site for any non-specific reason, then the initial slideshow by itself does a pretty good job of showing off your work, like Lazy Photographer said above.

10. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll give some thought to the 10 images per section idea.. It would help the load time of my website as it stands now, and I think people would be more likely to sit through the entire presentation without getting bored.

Having it in flash has been bugging me quite a bit too, and especially with the little "this site designed through wix" tag they embed into the flash when you use the wix template. I was able to go into the .html and remove the more obnoxious wix tag from the bottom of the page, but the little one in the top right is pretty much stuck.

So, my hubby *did I mention I LOVE this man??* is re-writing my whole website from the ground up in silverlight. It's a big project, and he only has time to work on it in the evenings here and there.. after programming all day at the office for work. But it's getting there and I hope to be done with the flash version soon. It will look the same though =)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  11. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tell that guy...your hubby that we (forum members) don't have the patience to keep waiting for him...lets go get it done.

Hehehehe...only kidding:mrgreen:

It is great he is doing this, tell him we are patiently waiting for the result.;)

12. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You wait patiently, I'll wait impatiently!:lol: