Portfolio work idea

shmne

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this month we have to re-purpose a common house hold item. I chose to sell cellophane wrap as a beauty wrap.

I want to have a super clean feel, high fashion feel. The photos I am taking are a 3 part series to go in one magazine, the first part shows the wrap being applied, the second one will show the wrap on the model completely, and the third will be the wrap coming off to show the new skin. It is a close up head shot.

The problem I am running into is that I don't know what to use for a clear wrap, the cellophane doesn't photograph nicely. I was planning on using 4 alien bees 800s, 2 for a pure white background, an octobox camera right and a fill camera left. The first try the wrap came out extremely gross and blown out as most of the light was being reflected.

My teacher commented and said that I may be able to use another material to mimic the cellophane, which I am still trying to decide on what I could use.

Just wondering if anyone on here has an experience with something like this, and maybe some advice on lighting it better.

Thank you in advance for any help

It will take some experimenting. One thought is a polarizer. Another is the bounce light set up. 2 bounced lights on either side of the background bouncing into 2 foamcores in front of the lens hitting the subject. The effect is this.

Love & Bass

its gonna be the same as shooting cars; another extremely reflective subject with lots of curves.

you are going to want to be bouncing all of your light so the light source is as large as possible. i've found shooting through white cloth shower curtains to work extremely well for softening light, as does large foam core. you could give the shower curtain trick a try for a little less than $10.

For shiny object, get the light off the cellphone from a reflective object into the camera, it would produce a better 3D photo. If direct light with diffusion, it will be too much for the reflective off the cellphone into the camera. I am not an expert on it, but you can try it out.

Kcc

Using multiple diffusers when photographing products can mellow out that specular light. I see Rondal mentioned white shower curtains. Something I've done in my studio that has worked very nicely is first--bouncing my Alien Bees off umbrellas, but second-- putting an added diffuser between that and your product. I've hung thin white tissue paper that you'd use to wrap things in(like garments, etc.) It's super cheap and you can get dozens of pieces of it for close to nothing. It's thin so it lets a good amount of light through, but it really reduces the harshness of the light.

Brian
Denver Wedding Photographer | Portrait | Senior | Baby | Pet
Brian Kraft Photography Blog

Most reactions

Back