portland oregon skyline

peanut170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
pdx-skyline-1.jpg

Very new to photography, but i really love city skylines and landscape photos. So any pointers would be helpful, or editing tips. Basically any knowledge is appreciated..... and i dont know why this is underlined either.

what settings did you use...i tried to get the charlotte skyline at night and failed....
see here
102_2625.JPG

He probably used a tripod for one. The reason yours is blurry is because you had low shutter speed.

BTW are you from Tacoma?

it looks like he user tripod and a bulb expo only that way he could get all light up picture in that much dark

it looks like he user tripod and a bulb expo only that way he could get all light up picture in that much dark

You don't have to use a bulb exposure to take a long exposure. Most cameras will offer up to 30s timed exposures in any of Av, Tv or M modes. 30 seconds is more than enough to take an exposure of a city at night.

the horizon seems a little crooked and I find the birds in the foreground to be taken away from the marvelous view.

the horizon seems a little crooked and I find the birds in the foreground to be taken away from the marvelous view.

So no go on the birds huh? I took a bunch without but had to do some sneaky movementy to get close to em so i liked this cuz i had to put in extra effort to get it. But this is the type of help im looking for thank you.

And redwing 24 that is the hawthorne bridge not stark street.

Peanut, mind sharing what settings you used on this pic? It can't be that long of an exposure or else I'd think the birds might come out a little blurry or motion blur unless they stood super still. But I could be wrong. Settings would help a lot. Great photo btw

I think without the birds this would just another city skyline. Honestly, if you've seen one you've seen them all. With the birds, you add foreground interest, an additional layer to look through and it sets thus shot apart from other similar skylines. My only beef is the horizon appears a bit tilted, but that can be easily fixed. Nice work!

f/4, 6 sec. exposure, iso 200

I took about 10 photos hoping i could get em all still.
And I appreciate the feedback.

Nice! BTW forgot to mention earlier, love the birds man. I think the birds made the picture what it is. BTW, what camera? (Not that it matters but I'm thinking of either getting the Canon XS or I might just end up getting T1i)

Most reactions

Back