Portoflio size?

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How big should a portfolio be? I have read that it should be rather small with examples of one's different styles such as landscape, portrait, sports, still life, etc. However its so hard to choose two landscape photos to represent all my landscapes. Are there any rules for the amount of content that should be in a portfolio?

I highly recommend this book: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582972109/sr=8-1/qid=1153154954/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8242071-4545527?ie=UTF8[/ame]

D-50 said:
I have read that it should be rather small with examples of one's different styles such as landscape, portrait, sports, still life, etc...

I disagree completely. You should have a separate portfolio for each of these subjects. Your website can be a combined subject portfolio, but when you are trying to get a job you want to target the prospective client with 10 or 12 examples of what they are looking for. If they have the time or desire, they can also look at your other portfolios, but if someone wants to hire you for portrait work, they want to see 10 portraits, not 2 portraits, 2 landscapes, 2 sports, etc... The only exception would be if you have been specifically told that they want to see a variety of subject matter.

ksmattfish said:
I disagree completely. You should have a separate portfolio for each of these subjects. Your website can be a combined subject portfolio, but when you are trying to get a job you want to target the prospective client with 10 or 12 examples of what they are looking for. If they have the time or desire, they can also look at your other portfolios, but if someone wants to hire you for portrait work, they want to see 10 portraits, not 2 portraits, 2 landscapes, 2 sports, etc... The only exception would be if you have been specifically told that they want to see a variety of subject matter.

i agree. short, simple, to the point. 8-12 8x10 (that's the most common for portfolios it seems) images is usually a good place to start. the only time you'd show them a couple of each type of photography you do is if you're doing stock or photojournalistic type stuff where alot of stuff is going to be thrown at you.

good thread... can i add another question.... What size should the photos be and how many images per page???
Should you use just one 8 x 10" image on each page, or is it ok to use 2 @ 5x7" on the one page?? Could you even put 3 images @ 4 x 6" from a series on the one page??
Is there a rule of thumb regarding sizes of images and layout in portfolios?
Jemma

I have read in quite a few places that photos should be 11x14 in a photography portfolio. (9x11 in model, but 11x14 in fashion, makeup, hair, etc.). IT's always a toss-up, and I'm not too sure if there is a "standard" for portfolios, but I was told that with the photos being larger than 8x10 it shows more "profesionalness" because it helps to put a difference between photographers and GWC's.

that's just what I've heard.

Chris

jemmy said:
good thread... can i add another question.... What size should the photos be and how many images per page???

One photo per page, unless the piece is composed of multiple photos.

The photos should be just the right size. ;) Overall I'd say the bigger the better. Obviously there comes a size that is too much of a pain in the *ss. But some photos are meant to be printed small; size of the print influences how it affects the viewer, so it depends on the individual. But overall I say big = wow somewhat.

My first portfolios had 4x6 and 5x7 prints two to a page, and the occasional 8x10/12. Now the smallest prints in my portfolio are the 8x10/12s, and I go up to 12x18s and 15x15s. Every photo gets it's own page with plenty of room. There are still some of the old photos in the newer portfolios, but the prints are bigger, and I can see how it affects the viewer. Try it yourself; big prints are cool!

if you're a model the standard is 9*11
but i think for a photographer it is less standardised.
Besides, none of it matters really. concentrate on being a good photographer, it's just an aspect ratio ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back