Portrait at the beach - final version?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

As always, I welcome any suggestions/comments/critique. My daughter isn't a fan of this one because she thinks her face looks fat. I like it because it's not her usual selfie that makes her look 17.

"I am smiling Mom! Are you done yet?" :lol:

I quite like this, and it's very refreshing to see an actual photo of a young teenager without arms stretched above their head!

As always, I welcome any suggestions/comments/critique. My daughter isn't a fan of this one because she thinks her face looks fat. I like it because it's not her usual selfie that makes her look 17.
Lovely portrait; beautiful model!

Very nice. I might have included a little more space around her as the background looks nicely disolved.

Very nice. Echoing your's and John's comments, it is refreshing to see a photo of a teenager not trying to look much older.

"I am smiling Mom! Are you done yet?" :lol:

I quite like this, and it's very refreshing to see an actual photo of a young teenager without arms stretched above their head!

Thanks. For me it's the dreamy expression on her face and her hair blown back off of it that make me love it. These days when I point the camera at her she fixes her hair so it's all wavy over her shoulder and half in her face then she gives me that perfectly practiced smile. Don't get me wrong, she looks great when she does all that but it's not how I see her!

Lovely portrait; beautiful model!

Thanks!

Very nice. I might have included a little more space around her as the background looks nicely disolved.

This is a crop so I did mess with the framing a little bit. I'll have to see if adding some space works better for me. Thanks for the input!

Wonderful

Thanks jc!

Very nice. Echoing your's and John's comments, it is refreshing to see a photo of a teenager not trying to look much older.

Thanks!

A nice portrait of a lovely girl, although I think this image will benefit with a bit of extra post processing.
I think when you use the ''curves and color balance sliders'' properly this portrait will improve instantly.
Mostly I'm missing enough contrast. Normally forehead, cheeks and chin will catch more light and give structure to a face. In your photo this important element is completely missing and perhaps this is giving an idea of "I'm having a fat face" to your daughter.

Because there is no real twinkle in the eyes I created one and IMO this gives the portrait a positive vibe.
Removed a bit of the magenta colorcast, maybe my edit looks a bit harsh on the colors, but this is only because I just have a jpeg to work with, whilst you can do so much better with the original RAW file.
Please understand that this edit is nothing more than my personal interpretation.

img.JPG

Last edited:

A nice portrait of a lovely girl, although I think this image will benefit with a bit of extra post processing.
I think when you use the ''curves and color balance sliders'' properly this portrait will improve instantly.
Mostly I'm missing enough contrast. Normally forehead, cheeks and chin will catch more light and give structure to a face. In your photo this important element is completely missing and perhaps this is giving an idea of "I'm having a fat face" to your daughter.

Because there is no real twinkle in the eyes I created one and IMO this gives the portrait a positive vibe.
Removed a bit of the magenta colorcast, maybe my edit looks a bit harsh on the colors, but this is only because I just have a jpeg to work with, whilst you can do so much better with the original RAW file.
Please understand that this edit is nothing more than my personal interpretation.

View attachment 144515

I see your point and you're probably right that the lack of shadow/contrast/contours on her face is what she doesn't like about it but I don't think I like this edit more than the smoother, younger looking face in the original.

On a side note, I see a lot of way too contrasty portraits on Facebook and Instagram lately and that seems to be in vogue right now but it's not to my taste. The Mirrorless Mammas FB group is like a black and white tv where someone messed up the settings, but they all seem to love it. Not sure why they want to make their kids look so scary, lol.

I don't care for the added twinkle and find that, for me, it pulls focus away from her face as a whole. It's all I can see when I look at it. Maybe because I know it was added??? All this is, of course, a matter of taste and subject to all manner of personal preferences and styles. I really appreciate your taking the time to provide your suggestions and your take on how you would post process the shot. It's really helpful to see everyone's different approaches and styles. Thanks!

I think it's a little tight, I feel like it's in a little too close. I think that and the hair away from the face might be emphasizing the round shape of the face, maybe that's why she thinks she looks fat. That and she's a teenager so who knows! lol This looks real and she'd rather look cool?? or whatever the kids are saying these days, I"m not up on the latest!

I think it's a little tight, I feel like it's in a little too close. I think that and the hair away from the face might be emphasizing the round shape of the face, maybe that's why she thinks she looks fat. That and she's a teenager so who knows! lol This looks real and she'd rather look cool?? or whatever the kids are saying these days, I"m not up on the latest!

Yeah it doesn't really bother me that she doesn't like it. I do so it's a keeper for me. I'll print it and put it in the folder with all of the other pics she insisted that I delete. I'm thinking that when she's older she'll be happy to have a few that show more than just her usual perfected pose with practiced smile.

I do have a wider crop on this with more space. Before I print I'll take a look to see if more is better. Thanks for your insights.

I think it's avery nice shot of her. I want to crop off that left side, and get rid of the shoulder on that side. I prefer the color tones of the original to the edit the other poster did.

She might not like the shot now, but I can guarantee that in 10 years, this will be a cherished shot.

I think it's avery nice shot of her. I want to crop off that left side, and get rid of the shoulder on that side. I prefer the color tones of the original to the edit the other poster did.

She might not like the shot now, but I can guarantee that in 10 years, this will be a cherished shot.

Her left or our left?

Most reactions

Back