Portrait Beginner equipment

Ab$olut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok some intrested in doing some portrait/model photography.Im already signed up on some of these talent sites and it seems alot of models out there will do the work just for prints or a cd.

Anyway equipment.

This is what I currently have

Canon Powershot a75
Velbon mini cx tripod

What cheap equipment could I use to enhance my photos for portrait? im talking about simple things. :p

Also the first location I think im going to be using is a club (empty) but with most the lighting on and at my disposal so maybe this is all I need?

Also I did do a search :)

i think the first thing you would need might be a better camera....a75 is only 3.1MP......resolution might be a little too low....and it woudlnt appear professional shooting model with a P&S

My personal take is to start simple. Use the sun. Indoor lighting can be a pain, especially if you aren't used to seeing the light yet. More than one light complicates things even more. I'd use that camera with the lens staying on the far telephoto end of things and take your subject outside in the morning or evening. Once you can get good outdoor portraits, then move indoors and start working with manufactured light that you have more control over.

For additional equipment, I'd get a book on portraiture and a white shower curtain and a piece of foam core for use as reflectors and diffusion. That's it for now. After you get the hang of it, you'll have a better idea of how you want to go and if you need anything else.

For models, I'd use friends and family. On those sites, I'd only contact people who are just starting out. Once you get more experience with portraits, you'll be able to attract models with more experience. Just don't be surprised if you get stood up a lot by models there. It happens a lot, even to paying photographers. Not all models are like that, and I've worked with a couple that have a strong work ethic, but the last four or five shoots I had scheduled from a model site were either canceled days before or they just didn't show up.

i think the first thing you would need might be a better camera....a75 is only 3.1MP......resolution might be a little too low....and it woudlnt appear professional shooting model with a P&S

I think it's fine for learning to shoot portraits. Skill is going to be a limiting factor more than equipment at least for a little while.

It isn't about the camera though really is it I just said I was a beginner I have already produced some nice prints with it.Also its nice enough quality for 1024x768.It also has a fairly versitile manual mode.About appearing professional yes this might be true but you can produce great images from it.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_a75/ click the portrait tab.

Thanks mark I was only thinking of this indoor location because its quite cold atm and as ive seen from other portrait photographers no-one likes the cold! as for friends and family I don't have many willing ones :lol: also I thought this was easier as you have control over the light? and yes i'll purchase a book asap.

Also yes if I do contact any i'll be contacting beginnners :)

Thanks mark I was only thinking of this indoor location because its quite cold atm
I commiserate. I shoot natural light in Rochester, and I'd rather not be outdoors right now. I've had good success with windows, though.

http://www.photogs.net/tpf/3092.jpg
http://www.photogs.net/tpf/M3002.jpg

I thought this was easier as you have control over the light?
That seems like the case, but they always start training pilots on Cessnas and the like. Put a new pilot in something like a Zlin Z-50 and they would probably kill themselves. The Fifty can do so much more, but if you don't know what to do with all of the options available, a person often gets themself into trouble. With something like a window, you usually already have useful light. You can then worry about other aspects of the image. If you star moving lights around, the odds of randomly finding useful light are slim. Once you know what to look for, you can start to manufacture it with intent.

When you look for a book, see if they have one on natural light portraits. One on poses would be useful too. At this point, I wouldn't bother with the ones that go over studio lighting setups.

please dont get me wrong...as i stated clearly...the problem is on the "prints".....i would imagine models would like to print their photos on large size for porfolio........if digital is sufficient.....i guess there is no problem.....i also have a75 as my first P&S...and i love the quality.....i just feel it would be more professional when shooting with unknown models....as a self learning tool....yes a75 is fine.......

if you are a model....wouldnt you feel the same way if someone is shooting you with a little camera?......would you be confident?.....just a thought

Yeah, that's one reason I suggested family and friends to start. It's not such a big deal for beginning models either. They mainly need the images for their online portfolios, so they don't have to be big. It's unlikely that a new model is going to be picked up by an agency. They start with a couple of images taken by friends on their port page. Then they get some images from a new photographer that looks better than what they had. Then they work with someone else with more experience and get better looking images, and the chain continues. Once they have some posing under their belt, they'll get some good images they can take to an agency in physical form. Sometimes, if they have "the look", a pro will work with them and they get some nice shots right off the bat, but there are so many people wanting to model that you should be able to find someone if you are patient.

yes....i cant agree more....start with friends and family

Most reactions

New Topics

Back