Portrait? C&C

fdrotary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't really like taking picture of people all that much just because everyone i know seems to be difficult, so i just took a pic of a guy that can't speak English.

3593513428_525ea926fa_b.jpg

Great shot, I like it... the B&W works well here. Exposure seems good (maybe a little overexposed in the background), composition is rock solid and that smile tells a story on its own.

I'm guessing he can't speak English because you're in his country right? I don't see many armored Hummers rolling around my neighborhood. Great shot though, and I'm sure your setting makes for many of these great moments.

i love this. totally expressive and beautiful.
might have preferred it to be cropped differently with a bit more contrast, but eh that's me. :D

thanks for the C&C, i am going to go bump the contrast and see how i like it. sometimes i have to go back to the pictures a few times to get them how i like them. May i ask how you would of cropped it? Still learning, so i just cropped out what is on the right because it was just a concrete bunker that was just large black hole in the bottom corner of the shot.

ps. yea, in Afghanistan but not military, just a job.

I think your framing is perfect. Having the Humvees in the frame adds context to the shot turning it from a nice candid portrait to something with more power. Good work!

A portrait should / could tell a story. And this one has it in spades! I like.

For some reason I don't like the framing as much. I think I have some weird bias where people I shoot always have to be in the left hand of the frame. Dunno why.

Anyway, GREAT shot (ignoring my issues). Really pleasant smile (with the tooth missing- perfect) Nice, expressive look... interesting looking guy. Nice lighting... even in the sun! Sharp and clear as well. Well done!

Did you use a flash? The highlights in his eyes seem like they are coming from the camera, which surprises me.

Most reactions

Back