Portrait CC

jeytee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently got my brother to sit down long enough for me to actually take a picture and without making a weird face haha. I used natural light which seems to have created some sharp harsh shadows.
Any critique welcome!

Last edited:
I definitely prefer the colour version; I don't mind the harshness of the lighting, but the eyes really need a little light. A reflector would have taken this from "Okay" to "Great".

I definitely prefer the colour version; I don't mind the harshness of the lighting, but the eyes really need a little light. A reflector would have taken this from "Okay" to "Great".
Thanks for the advice tirediron! I tried to make a make shift reflector with some tinfoil (you can see the smallest catch light ever in his eyes), but I don't think it was good enough haha.

don't blame the light.
I can use natural light without the harsh shadows.

If this is a headshot, it doesn't really make him connect with the viewer.
if it's a portrait, it needs more environmental context.
A portrait should be a collaboration between the subjects and the photographer. This is just a way too tight photograph of a family member.

I use a lot of natural light.
Find open shade.

Last edited:
don't blame the light.

A portrait should be a collaboration between the subjects and the photographer. This is just a way too tight photograph of a family member.

Find open shade.
Sorry I wasn't trying to blame the light. I was just saying what it created because I posed it wrong. Could you explain the environmental context part? And you mean collaboration between subject and photographer meaning the subject being more involved (ie looking at the camera or doing something interactive?). Do photographs of family members need to not be tightly framed? Thanks for the cc!

Is something like this better?

Last edited:
don't blame the light.

Find open shade.
Sorry I wasn't trying to blame the light. I was just saying what it created because I posed it wrong. Could you explain the environmental context part? And you mean collaboration between subject and photographer meaning the subject being more involved (ie looking at the camera or doing something interactive?). Do photographs of family members need to not be tightly framed? Thanks for the cc!

Is something like this better?

Environmental context: where is he?why is he standing there? Is there something going on? What is he doing?

Collaboration: he is actively aware his photo is taken and he's showing you his personality in the shot.

The framing is awkward where it's neither tight enough to present details but too tight to provide context.

I like the pose of the second shot, although i find the shadows a little distracting and I dont feel as though they add anything. In harsh sunshine I often move the subject under shade and then compensate far the darker setting in camera.

Most reactions

Back