Portrait feedback plz?

lizerdbaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It has been so long since I was here last, everythign has changed....

I would like a little feedback on these pics I took during a recent vacation, I was trying to get something I could turn into portraits for Mikey's Grandparents. ( I hope these are small enough but still get the full effect, I haven't quite mastered photobucket yet)

MikeyAlone.jpg

MikeyRock02.jpg

MikeyRock01.jpg

MikeyPeek.jpg

MikeyLake.jpg

Is there anything that would make them better? Any feedback is appreciated, I am still trying to learn.
Thanks
Beth

I would move in closer to him on almost all of these. That first one could have been cool, but the lamp is in the way and is distracting. Also, in the 3rd one I would have liked it better if he wasn't slumped over so much and there is too much space at the top of the composition. I like the idea of the 4th one, but there is too much blurry plant and not enough of his face. Try checking out some art books on composition. It can be tough to figure out what is pleasing in the beginning! Good luck)

1. You can barely even see him. Its more of a scenic shot than a portrait
2. His expression isn't a great one for portraits. When doing portraits you want to focus on the person, in this one I'm distracting from the person because of the water. The water doesn't really add anything to shot either
3. Get in a little closer. There is too much rocks at the top. He looks sort of sad though
4. I sort of like this one as a photo in general, but not as much as portrait, the leaves take up more space in the frame than he does.
5. Maybe a smile here. Cut off the empty space on the top

Thanks for the advice...I didn't do any touch ups on them, I wanted to know what would make them better. I dont' normally like my own pics, but I have had several people say they like what I have taken, (a friend has asked me to do her wedding pics in 2 years). SO all the advice is VERY MUCH appreciated.
I adjusted the one with teh leaves-actually a different one with the leaves...only because I didnt' like how serious he looked. Would you have any advice on pic cropping? (I hate cropping but I know sometimes it will help like with all the leaves)
Mikeyplantscropped.jpg

Thanks again!!!

Most reactions

Back