Portrait feedback

colinrayner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photography.colinrayner.org.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did a family portrait session last weekend and took a variety of shots of the family members.

Although they were largely pleased with the results one comment they had was in relation to some of the shots with a lady sat down and gentleman stood behind/to the side. They thought that as the men were quite tall, the distance between the ladies head and the man's was too much :-(

Been trying to attach an image but unsuccessfully so far ! The FAQ says use 'manage attachments', but I can't find that :-(

Any thoughts/comments from experienced portrait photographers ?

Colin.

you just need to put the image on photobucket or something like that.. then copy the address for the file.. then when you make a post, click the yellow mountain, and paste the address and hit enter
20081123-e4xe31pycfff9r6xepnc9e5b7m.jpg

but without seeing the picture, i can tell you that that is not a good pose.. because of the difference in height

Instead of having one regular chair like that one and having one sit and one stand, get two bar stool type chairs that can be raised/lowered. Have two varying heights for sitting poses, or if you just had her stand the height difference wouldn't have been so bad. Sometimes people are that much taller than the other so having them both sit and then raise/lower the seats to a pleasing height would have been best.
I've heard various thoughts on what is the best but usually having one person's eyes level with the other person's mouth is a good place to start.
Also, in this particular shot, her arm should not be behind him like that, it looks very awkward, like her arm is completely missing. I also do not like when one puts their arm behind the other person and their hand rests on the other's shoulder, it looks like a cut off hand sitting there.
Both should also be looking the same direction.

Also, in this particular shot, her arm should not be behind him like that, it looks very awkward, like her arm is completely missing. I also do not like when one puts their arm behind the other person and their hand rests on the other's shoulder, it looks like a cut off hand sitting there.
Both should also be looking the same direction.

Thanks. These are the sorts of details but basics which I've not yet mastered :blushing:

I personally would wish that CC and what not kinds of posts be placed in the appropriate forum. This doesn't belong in "beyond the basics". The beginner's. gallery or People section is where this would belong.

Thanks for your cooperation.

He looks like a giant compared to her! Next time I would suggest having him kneel on a box or something behind the chair. They would look best with his chin at the same height as her ear which is a pretty common rule of thumb for these type of portraits.

I personally would wish that CC and what not kinds of posts be placed in the appropriate forum. This doesn't belong in "beyond the basics". The beginner's. gallery or People section is where this would belong.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I'm quite new to this forum, so please accepy my apologies. :blushing:

Instead of a dining chair try using a bar stool, and I agree with others about the peoples attire, tell them to stop shopping at british home stores/marky's or you'll call the fashion police. H

Also backs of hands are generally to be avoided, especially in his case. His whole posture is really stiff, if his hand had something to do, instead of rigidly hang there, it would look better. Even just having him put his hand in his pocket with his thumb still out, so his whole hand doesn't disappear, would look a lot better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back