Portrait Lens Advice

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Saving up to add to the glass in 2017 for the Pentax K3II. Currently have a DA 50mm 1.8. Looking to expand to something in the 70-85 mm range. Under consideration is the Pentax HD DA 70 mm 2.4 limited, the Rokinon 85 mm 1.4 Aspherical (manual focus), and at the higher end the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM.

The primary purpose would be portrait work, so manual focus is not a deal breaker. Any comments or suggestions on these choices????

I am not a Pentax user so I can't recommend an exact lens but I would try stay at 85mm or above. I have the Sigma 85mm which I use most because of space limitations but I also have a Canon 135mm F/2 prime which requires more distance.
There are plenty of videos on the subject.

Saving up to add to the glass in 2017 for the Pentax K3II. Currently have a DA 50mm 1.8. Looking to expand to something in the 70-85 mm range. Under consideration is the Pentax HD DA 70 mm 2.4 limited, the Rokinon 85 mm 1.4 Aspherical (manual focus), and at the higher end the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM.

The primary purpose would be portrait work, so manual focus is not a deal breaker. Any comments or suggestions on these choices????

If it were me, I would stick with the Pentax. From what I have read, it's a stellar piece of glass and can be used for other things. It has the right focal length for a crop sensor 70 x 1.5=105. Hard to beat Pentax glass.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-70mm-f2.4-limited.html

@jcdeboever the pancake 70 would be light and easy to handle. Supposedly the A/F on it is extremely fast also.

The Pentax will likely last for 20+ years; not sure I think the Rokinon will hold up based on Lensrentals.com's experiences with that 'brand'. I dunno...I like the longer-lens-look for faces, but on APS-C, indoors in many places an 85mm is quite long, forcing you far away to get more than tight, close-up shots. I think the Pentax would be a good length for the K3II.

85 on apsc is like 122.5 on full frame. You want a lens that is long enough as to have no distortion on a head shot and short enough as to not make you have to start knocking down walls in order to have enough room in your studio. So, inside I think your 50mm 1.8 should do just fine. Outside, the 85mm might be a lot of fun but, keep the 50mm handy incase you start to feel like you are shouting or running a marathon in order to communicate with your subject. (imho) 105 and 135 are just too long for portrait work on aps-c.

As greybeard references, "distortion on a head shot" can be an issue. Check out this video, shot by J.P. Morgan, of The Slanted Lens channel. As you can see...his preference for the way a lens enders a human face is about the 135mm lens length on FF digital.

A few years ago, I calculated using an on-line field of view tool, that to get an 8.45 foot tall field of view with 85mm lens for a full-length, two person, bridal portrait of a 6-foot tall man and his bride, allowing for some head and foot space, with FX Nikon, the camera to subject distance to get that field of view height was 20.0 feet; with APS-C Canon and same 85mm lens, that same picture area was at 34.5 feet distant. That means knocking down walls for many people!

There is a reason Pentax created that lens length.

I should have read your post more closely as I didn't notice that 70mm was one of the choices, the 70mm looks like the clear winner to me

Pentax HD Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited Lens (Black) 21430 B&H

just LOOK at this beauty!!! $399 from B&H Photo. I see one used on eBay for $288--perhaps others for even less on the 'Bay?

105mm equivalent field of view...SUCH a wonderful angle of view on FF Nikon, the 105mm angle of view is sweet. Not as long as the 135, but definitely longer than the 85mm.

This 70mm on APS-C was crafted to replicate the 105mm FF length that Nikon built much of its claim to fame on.

I've never been disappointed with Pentax glass, so will start my search for a 70mm.

At 70mm you can get head and shoulders at about 5', my last portrait attempt I used a 50mm, then switched to 70-200. At 5' camera to subject I could zoom to about 135mm for a headshot portrait. Entire setup is about 20'. I am looking at my setup and contemplating turning the whole thing 90* so I can literally shoot from a different room at 200mm ( 320 FF equivalent zoom). Its the IQ and the perspective Im looking for, not necessarily reach although thats nice in an event/ outdoor scenario.

Is room space, subject distance a factor in your choice? If planning on shooting outdoors or event portraits I would consider going longer.

Is room space, subject distance a factor in your choice? If planning on shooting outdoors or event portraits I would consider going longer.

I have a Pentax 50-200 f/4,5, but I'm looking for the quality that the 70mm limited brings. Space inside could be a factor depending on location

Sigma replaced the 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM with another ART series lens. Sigma claims to be going after Zeiss Otus with this series believing they have already surpassed the camera OEM's lenses. I just checked & don't see Sigma primes for Pentax.

A stellar FX lens may not be so stellar on DX. You're not using all of the lens. Consider staying with DX lenses unless you want to go to a FX camera in the future.

I have a Rokinon and really like it, but I don't see the 85 for Pentax.

So, go get the Pentax 70.

Get familiar with B&H's search tool: SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Was my research faulty and your other 2 options exist, or did I do your research? :048:

@Drive-By-Shooter From B&H site

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC Lens for Pentax K
  • This 85mm f/1.4 lens features a Pentax K mount, and is compatible with full-frame and 35mm film cameras, as well as APS-C sensors where it will provide a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.

a bargain! notice this one does not say, "with ae chip". it says the camera can set the aperture so you don't have to use the aperture ring, so I don't know what you lose w/o the chip.
the 2 customer pics on b&h look very good. they seem to be making great optics at really low prices.
while a different lens, this shows why i am leaning towards the rokinon/samyang for you (click on pic to zoom in): _IOP5395

Most reactions

New Topics

Back