portrait lens suggestions

psreilly said:
That's absolutely sickening. I can't understand that at all. I mean yes the 1.4 is a little better by the tiniest margin. To be that much more over the 1.8 is sickening and hysterical actually

It's pretty shocking that the new 85mm f/1.8 G-series is one of the very sharpest lenses priced under $4,000, according to the 75 or so prime lenses DxO Mark tested on the D800 and D800e. In the real of short telephoto primes for D800 and D800e, the 85mm f/1.8 is ranked fourth, behind the Zeiss Distagon OTUS 55mm in first place, and the Carl Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar--which is considered by some to be an almost perfect lens. In third place is the 85mm f/1.4 G...so, yeah...it's amazing what Nikon has done with the 85mm f/1.8 G lens...its performance in terms of sharpness, even at wider f/stops, and across the entire frame, is really, really astounding. I have one, and am blown away by how crisp its images are!

Best standard and short telephoto primes for the portrait studio | DxOMark

I've been shooting with the 50mm 1.8 for a good while now. It's a work horse of a lens and can handle anything from group to portrait. The 1.8 lineup Nikon has in general is very very good. I've shot with a lot of different brands and I think bang for your buck Nikon is the winner. With that said though their 1.4s are great but imo not worth the hike from the 1.8s.. Zeiss glass, well it's Zeiss glass very solid and great glass can't go wrong and if you have the money i'd go for it all day

I don't own the 1.8 85mm, but have shot with it several times. It's neck and neck with the 50mm 1.8 in terms of sharpness and crisp imagery. Both are just phenomenal lenses. I never thought i'd be happy leaving Hasselblad and Phase one.. but I am!

I agree on the 105 f/2 DC as my first choice. But a close second would be the 85 1.8G. If you're tight on money, grab a 135 f/2.8 AIS for cheap on eBay.

Or.

You can use this for portraits.

lens1.jpg

While the 105 f/2 DC is a great lens don't discount the extremely affordable AIS 135mm 2.8. I own this very lens and it is stunning.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back