Portrait Lens

nlb2282

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a new portrait lens, but am not sure what to get. I mostly take pictures of my daughter (9 months) and mostly use my canon 50mm 1.8. I've heard that the Canon 50mm 1.4 is good, but not sure if it's worth upgrading to at this point. I am also interested in the Tamron 17-50 2.8 to replace my lens kit. Any recommendations on these two or other lenses I might want to look at? Thanks!

Do you find that your current lenses are holding you back? Is there something you can't so with them, that you think you could with a better lens?

Of course, there are some technical differences. The lenses you mention have larger maximum apertures than the lenses you currently have. That is certainly an advantage but the difference between F1.8 and F1.4 isn't all that much. The biggest difference between the two 50mm lenses, is the build quality. So unless you are letting your daughter use the lens as a toy, the inferier build quality of the F1.8 is probably not an issue.

Build quality is also an issue when comparing the kit lens to the Tamron 17-50mm. But a bigger factor in this comparison is the maximum aperture. Being able to use F2.8 at the long end of the zoom, is a huge advantage.
If you do some shooting with low light levels, and don't like to use flash, then this would be another advantage for the Tamron. But if you're shooting outdoors in good light, the lenses would compare pretty well.

Most reactions

Back