Portrait of a Wasp

Yes I agree EDL's version is a little richer in color, not so flat. This is what I did today to this and the one I entered in local photo contest.

Last edited:
Very nice Bynx. That's perfect.

Here is another shot from the back. The two eyes on the back of the head are clearly visible.

Last edited:
THAT THING IS EVIL LOOKING.

sorry for the caps lock.. but EVIL.

they have eyes in the back of the head?????

Great shot Bynx. Sounds like you paid the price. I'd try this shot with a deeper black point. All the blacks are registering gray to my eyes.

Rotanimod, I have another final I did after posting this which is a tad better, but not worth reposting. There is so much detail in the hair and antenna that gets lost when I push it any further.

Yes I agree EDL's version is a little richer in color, not so flat. This is what I did today to this and the one I entered in local photo contest.

2ck3kn.jpg

Looks like you've now fixed what my main complaint was. Lack of a rich black point which made the image flat. Good work!

My one complaint.. you don't have a picture of you smashing that thing into nothing more than guts.

Great shot though.

I hate bees.

Hair looks wet. Is that poisoned and pinned? That is what i am looking at doing!

Good observation 4meandthem. I put the wasp in the freezer for 10 minutes. When he came out there was stuff in the hair. Microscopic stuff that would take forever to photoshop out. So I put him under the tap and gave him a bath. The wet look is the result. I even used a hair dryer on him to dry the hair. Had I a small comb I would have spruced him up better, but I didnt. Then I stuck a pin in the tail end. The needle had a ball of plastic on the end. At this point I took a small blob of my sons hair gel and put it on the face of a hand mirror that is on a swivel stand. By putting the ball of the needle in the blob of gel I was able to pose the wasp in almost any position. Between that and the swivel ability of the mirror I was able to get the pose you see here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back