Portrait of my Dad

Davec223

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
This is one that I shot of my Dad last weekend, I know that it is a bit tight around his face, there is nohing I can do about this as I have not cropped the image at all. Although I like it, I would like C&C as it will help widen my view on composition. i would also like to know wich you prefer, the colour or B&W version.

_DSC3049036.jpg

_DSC3049036a.jpg

Thanks for looking

Regards

Dave

i love close ups like this.

i like the b/w one can see it on the mantelpeice for years too come.

What focal length were you using? It looks like the camera was a little close to him, giving it a slightly distorted feel. I'd suggest that you step back and zoom in. A focal length of about 50-80mm works quite well. other than that, it's a very nice picture. :)

What focal length were you using? It looks like the camera was a little close to him, giving it a slightly distorted feel. I'd suggest that you step back and zoom in. A focal length of about 50-80mm works quite well. other than that, it's a very nice picture. :)

Focal length was 70mm I have just double checked

b/w definitely! I don't mind it being so close up.

Just to be a pain, I like the colour better. It's nice and warm amd his blue eyes are beautiful! I feel that your b+w conversion is a bit too muddy. It needs to be brightened up a bit and have a tad more contrast. There are no true blacks in the image not even in his pupils, It's just too grey but this is only my opinion. As for the composition, as tiberius47 said, maybe there is a little bit of distortion but for me it is a non issue, I love the closeness of it. In this image your dad comes across as a warm and loving 'poppy' that you just want to get a hug off when everything gets too tough. hahaha I love it! Great capture!

Focal length was 70mm I have just double checked

You were standing pretty close to him then?

Anyway, I didn't mean for it to come across as that the slight distortion is a bad thing. It's quite effective, gives it quite a fun feel. :)

Colour works better than black and white on this shot because it is not as harsh to the skin. Even in the colour shot some postprocessing is necessary. I have demonstrated some postprocessing here.

skieur

dadportrait_ed.jpg

I like the original in b&w. I like the texture in his skin and unless a person chooses to have pp done to smooth out their skin I think it's completely unnecessary. We are who we are!

Thanks for all the comments, I am pleased that you like the closeness of it.

Souljourney, I agree we are who we are and Skieur I appreciate the PP that you have done, unfortunately it is not my dad when this is done, if you see what I mean.

Bounce you are right about my old man he is great, yeah I know that I am bias but you know what, I don't care :D

Tiberius47, I didn't take it the wrong way, I always think that you can be to blinkered with your own work, so another persons take on the shot is alway appreciated.

Again let me thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I like the original in b&w. I like the texture in his skin and unless a person chooses to have pp done to smooth out their skin I think it's completely unnecessary. We are who we are!

Post processing is necessary for all photos and all serious pros post process portraits.

Lack of attention to detail and lack of knowledge of postprocessing is being displayed when "smooting of skin" is criticized when this was not done. If you actually knew how to pp, you would have been able to more correctly identify what I did.

No beginner should knock what they don't know how to do.

skieur

Souljourney, I agree we are who we are and Skieur I appreciate the PP that you have done, unfortunately it is not my dad when this is done, if you see what I mean. .

Speaking as an experienced photographer with attention to detail, the above statement is only true if you can identify WHY that edit is not your dad.

If you just showed the edit to anyone who knew your dad, I would bet that everyone would consider it to be the original photograph....and that is one of the characteristics of postprocessing.

Despite also what Souljourney says, believe me, no one past 50 WANTS to look their age, even if it is in the smallest of details.

skieur

Speaking as an experienced photographer with attention to detail, the above statement is only true if you can identify WHY that edit is not your dad.

If you just showed the edit to anyone who knew your dad, I would bet that everyone would consider it to be the original photograph....and that is one of the characteristics of postprocessing.

Despite also what Souljourney says, believe me, no one past 50 WANTS to look their age, even if it is in the smallest of details.

skieur

OK some of the PP that you have done.

1 Removed nasal hair
2 Whitened teeth
3 removed some eyebrow hair
4 lightened mole on top lip.

As for all people over 50 not wanting to look their age, I think that you are wrong, I know plenty of over 50's who are not bothered about their age or looks.

Most reactions

Back