Not open for further replies.

CA_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$lizzie3sm.jpg

Taken on my little D5100.

She's lovely, and has gorgeous eyes. I would strongly suggest not cropping the top of her head... it seriously detracts from the photo. It looks like there is some barrel distortion from using a wide angle lens. And it is very noisy... did you need to shoot at ISO 4000, or was it done intentionally?

Y
E
S

A

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
Might have given this photo an entirely different feel. She has a lovely haircut, and great features for photography!

Y
E
S

A

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
Might have given this photo an entirely different feel. She has a lovely haircut, and great features for photography!

I was going to make that point.. but I KNOW it is YOUR point to make! lol!

Vertical or landscape.. Who cares! I am sick of those comments. Yes, portraits do work in landscape too! Why being so anal?

Anyway, nice shot. For me its just a bit overworked. Looks plastic. Skin, eyes....

]Vertical or landscape.. Who cares! I am sick of those comments. Yes, portraits do work in landscape too! Why being so anal?[/B]

Anyway, nice shot. For me its just a bit overworked. Looks plastic. Skin, eyes....

I am curious.. Between us, Derrel and I probably have about Sixty to Seventy years of combined experience. We both are or have been Professionals with successful working studios. Maybe we have some basis for what we recommend!

Out of curiousity, how long have you even been shooting? Owned a SLR or DSLR? Just trying to get a basis here for your comments here! Are they just based on opinion (what you like) or do you actually have some knowledge that we don't have? :)

Y
E
S

A

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L

I'm also curious as to how this ^ is anal?

Oh jeez..

As for the I-have-more-experience notion.. Samurai were the peak of endurance, agility and strength. They were terrifying, even when out numbered by 10 fold. Why? Because though masters of their craft they were, they were always 'perpetual students' and humble enough to consider new ideas from even the beginner of beginners. Sometimes having less experience can be good; they can see things veterans simply haven't.

Anyway, I went back to the original raw and it seems I chopped the top off in-camera :( but I do agree a portrait frame could have worked better. Though, sometimes I try things that I think will look great in my mind and they don't translate. And yes, her fake look was very much on purpose. I didn't really want it to look like a photo, more of an illustration / art piece. I thought it might look cool on wrapped canvas! :)

Oh jeez..

As for the I-have-more-experience notion.. Samurai were the peak of endurance, agility and strength. They were terrifying, even when out numbered by 10 fold. Why? Because though masters of their craft they were, they were always 'perpetual students' and humble enough to consider new ideas from even the beginner of beginners. Sometimes having less experience can be good; they can see things veterans simply haven't.

Anyway, I went back to the original raw and it seems I chopped the top off in-camera :( but I do agree a portrait frame could have worked better. Though, sometimes I try things that I think will look great in my mind and they don't translate. And yes, her fake look was very much on purpose. I didn't really want it to look like a photo, more of an illustration / art piece. I thought it might look cool on wrapped canvas! :)

Sure... like I haven't heard that before! lol!

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5100
Lens: 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
Image Date: 2012-07-08 19:40:11 +0000
Focal Length: 18mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Focus Distance: 22.4m
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh

I bet a new samurai wouldn't call the master anal.

:blackeye:

Placement of something in the frame isn't arbitrary - or shouldn't be.
Viewers will try to figure out why space is left.

Unbalanced space to one side seems to imply that the photographer is doing it for an artistic purpose.
The subjects face is symmetrical and yet there is space to one side - and it looks 'off' to me because I can't understand why it is asymmetric.

Lew

janineh said:
Vertical or landscape.. Who cares! I am sick of those comments. Yes, portraits do work in landscape too! Why being so anal?

Maybe don't bash comments from full time working professionals who offer accurate critique... mmmkay?

Anal? More like correct technical form. A portrait shouldn't chop off the top 10% of the subject's head. Simple.

I bet a new samurai wouldn't call the master anal.

:blackeye:

hahahaha... my intent was not suggest that there shouldn't be questions about why someone suggests something. More along the lines that if you make a statement, (especially a rude one), please back it up with why, and facts... or at least some sort of data. "I LIKE IT" just an opinion and we all know what opinions are LIKE! :)

The more experienced posters here don't say "Because it has always been done that way!", they usually try to provide information as to why something is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back