Portrait of my nephew Dylan

dleblanc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Portrait of my nephew Dylan taken this morning with my new camera.

2328623999_df3bba7b92.jpg

View on Flickr.

Nikon D40, 18-55mm kit lens, ISO 800, f/4.8 at 1/40th of a second.

C&C?

I think the light you got on this shot is great! What a cutie! Too bad about the chair in the background and I wish there was just a tad more space at the bottom so that his arm wasn't so close to the edge. Great job, though. Keep that new camera clicking!

Yeah. It'd be a little hard to start moving furniture around. My piano is located right in front of the window.
Between this forum and the Strobist, all I've been thinking is light, light, light. :)

It's an overcast day, so the light coming in the window is nice and soft. I wish I had a lens with a little less DOF. I'm thinking about the 50mm 1.8... I just don't know if I'd be able to focus manually quick enough to get all those shots. Think it is worth it?

The 50mm is definitely worth it! I have been using that lens almost exclusively since I got it. You have to manual focus because of the D40, right? That's too bad, but with practice I bet it wouldn't be an issue after awhile.

I agree. I wanted to keep the 4x6 dimensions, but that's a bad reason, I think. Too much white space at the top. Thanks!

To my eyes, 4 x 6 virtually always looks awkward in portrait format. The rest of the world will scream that it is close to metric and golden rectangle, etc. but it looks bad to me.

Not to mention that framing 4 x 6 format as 8 x 12 gets very expensive compared to standard 8 x 10 frames.

Lew

I think, a little USM of the original at 30-50 radius, amount to taste will really make this lovely picture brilliant.

I think, a little USM of the original at 30-50 radius, amount to taste will really make this lovely picture brilliant.

I actually tried before I uploaded it and I couldn't figure out how to make it look good. For some reason one eye changed color/got sharper... but the other eye didn't change. It looked weird. Am I doing something wrong? I'm not really sure how an unsharp mask really works... between the threshold, radius, and amount.

I normally play around until I like how it looks. No luck this time though.

I turned the radius down and I had a little more luck... I'll post something if I like it more than the original.

Hmmmm... It seems to be doing weird things to the edges. And any less it's not really noticeable. What to do?

Alright. Sorry for so many posts in a row, but I've done a lot of edits to this picture and I finished it a couple days ago. I took the advice of making it 8x10 and even had prints made. They came out awesome. I've decreased the DOF in Photoshop and done a few minor adjustments and have come up with a finished product. Check it out...

Most reactions

Back