Portrait of your camera(s)

One neat thing about the Olympus that I mentioned previously is that it can take video, where an SLR can't. But the videos are HUGE, and not the best quality compared to a proper digital video.

I was amazed at how cheap digital camcorders have gotten lately. This was only about $300-400. We pay more than that for one SLR lens. There are some things that are just better on video.

A hidden benefit of this, at least to me was that it can take a (small) 1 MP still photo, optically stabilized, at 30X zoom levels. That is expensive with an SLR. It just so happens to take SD memory, just like the Pentax and Canon do. Since it is only about 1 MP or so, I just put the cheap 16 MB card that came with the Canon into this.

Camcorder1.jpg

Camcorder2.jpg

Camcorder3.jpg

Camcorder4.jpg

Not a body that I use very frequently... sometimes when im in the mood to shoot B&W and Colour Film with my Long exposures (i use a Nikon FE and the EM for exposures longer than 30sec's cuz they use cable release, these cameras are for LE's ONLY in my life)

nikon.jpg

Hey Matt, there's someone here to talk to you about overcrowded living conditions.

Nice collection, BTW. What's that one, second shelf down towards the right, looks like a mantle clock? Just to the right of the two flashes and in front of the TLR.

What's that one, second shelf down towards the right, looks like a mantle clock? Just to the right of the two flashes and in front of the TLR.

That's a Fotochrome. I was talking about it in a recent thread with MysteryScribe. There is a huge mirror behind the lens that projects the light down onto the film (some medium format size, roughly 6x8cm), which runs parallel to the ground. An interesting design, but I can see why it didn't take off.

Check out the one next to that. It's a Viscawide STD, which is like a Widelux that uses 16mm film. And behind that is my Graph-Check sequence camera with eight lenses. It takes 8 frames in sequence (in a range of 1/10th of a sec, to 2 sec) on 4x5 film. Each frame is about the size of a 35mm frame.

and how many of them do you use...??

There are about a 1/2 dozen that see fairly regular use. Another dozen or two that occasionally get used. Many of these are the cheap consumer cameras of their day, and probably at least half are either broken, or have some other issue that makes them more for looking at than using.

Most reactions

Back