Portrait or landscape orientation for a business headshot?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello...If you are shooting business headshots do you find yourself shooting in portrait or landscape mode and what factors determine this for you?

portrait. whats in the background that would justify having extra space on the side?

portrait. whats in the background that would justify having extra space on the side?

Good point, I guess some people find it more pleasing to the eye in landscape whether it's a low key shot or white backdrop.

I usually shoot my landscapes in portrait. I like sky.

What does your client need? Portraits for my company have a very specific style, being bright and airy and showing a bright, OOF background. Many appear to be landscape, rather than portrait, orientation.

Horizontal gives all that nice,empty,dead space on the sides, and makes the head smaller in the frame.

I shoot horizontal. Crop to what they need. Don't need that huge original size anyway for most.

I start by asking the client/business what they require. Generally, I prefer portrait, but one large car dealer I shoot for regularly has a corporate policy which requires ALL images to be landscape.

Hello...If you are shooting business headshots do you find yourself shooting in portrait or landscape mode and what factors determine this for you?
Years ago, I learned to frame the frame I wanted while taking the photograph. This generally means fitting the subject to the frame, and vice-versa. If what you're trying to portray is the head and shoulders, then (assuming the person is standing) what you see is naturally more vertical than horizontal.

What changes that is if there is some other reason why you want extra background in the shot. I've heard "need space for future text insertion", or "we have to show the company sign in the shot", or "OMG, what a gorgeous sunset". For me, a portrait can be very successful in horizontal format as long as there is a rationale for it.

I shoot landscape unless the client asks for something different. The final crop is usually a ratio of 4x5 and shooting landscape I feel this gives me better options.

The environment would determine that. A straight headshot normally would be portrait or square. An environmental portrait could be nearly anything. I'm not a fan of school yearbook style portraits and always tried to talk clients out of them. You will find your clients are likely to prefer shots of them doing what they do if you show them some.

Shoot both. Let the client choose the final one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back