Portrait Parties

wildmaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wildmaven.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have you heard of these things? They're kind of like tupperware parties. The host invites people, makes snacks, and plays music. The photographer shows up, sets up 1 background and lights and takes pictures of the guests in 15 minute sessions. The host gets a free 8x10 and 10-15% of the total profits from the print sales. There are no session charges. Then, if one of the guests has their own party, the host gets a kickback for that, too.

Thoughts?

That sounds like fun! I couldn't take the pics but I would def. go to one...

Hmm...that's pretty neat. I never even thought of that. Kinda like tupperware, candle, purse, and "dirty items" parties...lol.
And they always make money.

Yup, I have heard of it. Gonna offer to do it for my Mommy groups when I get farther along.

I have done event portraits before slightly different then this. I set up some studio lights and a muslin bg and a printer and take a photo of couples together at the social event charging for the prints I make right there on the spot. Its really easy and easy money I have made 2,500 in one night for a few hours of work. Just this isnt very steady bookings, I wish they were.

Sounds like a poor attempt at a pyramid scheme method of working.

Very unprofessional at the very least.

i thibk it sounds like a great idea and a good place to leave your business cards

Good idea. A great way to get out there and meet people in a community like mine then leave cards with the address of your studio.

I think how creative or how not creative depends on how you aproach it. Sure, a black back drop, lights and a kid being told to look left or look right sounds dull. If you take the whole group to a garden or have the kids go play out in the yard and get them that way I think it's very creative and would be a blast.

I think how creative or how not creative depends on how you aproach it. Sure, a black back drop, lights and a kid being told to look left or look right sounds dull. If you take the whole group to a garden or have the kids go play out in the yard and get them that way I think it's very creative and would be a blast.

Personally, I don't think it is about being creative - that is where you find cheap people looking for a deal.

I know that sounded bad, huh? but it is true. I know personally, I despise all home parties... I think they are a sad way of someone trying to get money to work at home, and they are using peoples' guilt to buy some stuff so their host will make some money.... or nothing like not really wanting the product, but you feel pressure to buy because everyone else is...

You can be as creative as you want, but why would you waste time on a portrait party where people may spend up to $100 each (if you are lucky as they are looking for WalMart prices), when you can do just one portrait session and make $2,000-3,000 on someone who appreciates the art and refers to all their friends.

Eeep...I don't wanna be lumped in with wal-mart ;)

I kind of figure it's a give back cuz allot of the mom's in my group have done things for us. Hosted party's, payed for food, put on or sponsored events. Not only that but it gets my cards in a few more hands and I get to sociolize with Moms thay may be interested in private sessions down the road. I'm just starting so I highly doubt I will make $2-$3k in any one session in the near future so it's worth it to me. If nothing else but for the practice.

Personally, I don't think it is about being creative - that is where you find cheap people looking for a deal.

I know that sounded bad, huh? but it is true. I know personally, I despise all home parties... I think they are a sad way of someone trying to get money to work at home, and they are using peoples' guilt to buy some stuff so their host will make some money.... or nothing like not really wanting the product, but you feel pressure to buy because everyone else is...

You can be as creative as you want, but why would you waste time on a portrait party where people may spend up to $100 each (if you are lucky as they are looking for WalMart prices), when you can do just one portrait session and make $2,000-3,000 on someone who appreciates the art and refers to all their friends.

I agree with Jodie...I find all the "home parties" quite tacky whether they are tupperware, knick knacks for the home or portrait parties. I personally would never do it with my own business, I don't want to be that guy.

I just heard of these in the last week or so and while I wouldn't ask someone to "host" one for me, I was thinking of talking to a few friends and having them spread the word so that I can have one at my own home. I'm very new to portfolio building and I'd love to photograph some new faces. Since I'd be hosting it myself, there wouldn't be any "guilting" anyone to buy anything and it would be a great way to get some new customers.

Most reactions

Back