Portrait photo help

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by teamtoken, Apr 29, 2008.

1. teamtoken

teamtoken TPF Noob!

Hey guys

im lending a nikon d50 (6.1megapixel) from a friend and am taking some portrait shots of my brother my knowledge of photography is pretty basic, i know how to adjust shutter, ISO and all that and basicly how it works but thats about it. I am wondering how i can achieve a facial portrait photo that looks similar to this wonderful photo taken by fatty23

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2428881801_30c29e380d.jpg

i assume it has been post-processed in photoshop, to which i have an intermediate knowledge.

I am wondering what technique's and settings i should use to get a picture like this, and what editing is needed.

thankyou very much for your time, any help is very very appreciated!

thanks guys :)

2. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm a newb too, so I can't help much, but tell how you 'think' this shot was taken and how would you go about shooting it?

Just from looking, I'd say the most important part of this photo is the light angle and probably the type of light used. Looks like about a 60 degree angle from the light and the camera.
    Also, probably a lower ISO to make it dark.

Anyone else have any ideas?

3. KristinaS

KristinaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since it is someone on the forum, it might be a good idea to send a private message to the photographer who took the picture as they could share with you exactly how they shot it.

I like that shot, too. If I'm correct, though, I think forum rules state that you shouldn't directly post someone else's photo, but a link instead.

4. teamtoken

teamtoken TPF Noob!

those were my initial thoughts cosby, the light set-up is the main factor

yeah, ive sent a PM to fatty23 asking for his/her advice and permission to show the photo. his profile states its ok to edit his photo's so i dont suppose they'd mind me showing it elsewhere.

5. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You could achieve this using strong(-ish) natural light coming in through a window. Expose for the brightest part of the face (might need +1 exp comp) - and you'd need to buy similar sunglasses and you'd need to get your brother to comb his hair long and stick a super-king size ciggie in his mouth... (just joking with the last part there...)

6. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It seems it uses dark material for the background. The person also wore dark shirt or suit. And strong natural window lighting (I guess) to light up narrow section. Alternatively use controlled flash.