Portrait photo materials

colormesilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what some good materials for doing portrait photos. Like backdrops and lighting. I'm fairly new to this.

Thanks.

My personal taste runs towards using window light for lighting, a wide aperture to blur out the background, and foam core and a white shower curtain for reflectors and diffusor. I think it's a good way to start, and I haven't found a reason to get any other equipment. I did buy some hot lights to try, but I very rarely use them. Of course this limits you as to what you can do, but I think that's a good thing for when you are learning. It keeps you from going all over the place. Once you get good at using the light you have, you'll have a better eye for setting up lights for what you want.

But that's just one approach.

I just bring a camera. And maybe some lights here and there. Mark is right, natural light is the best.

I use both muslin and paper for backdrops. I too prefer natural light and the use of reflective or diffusing materials to control it.

I own a full portable studio set up with lights and muslins but rarely use it. I, like the others, prefer natural light, reflectors and bounces to even it up as needed, wide aperatures and a nice location. Studio stuff is nice but it can be too confining at times.

I say the great outdoors is the best backgrounds you can get! go with nature and wack it out of focus. Then you are left with great colours and tones but the focus still remains on the subject. I think the best part of a portrait is the surroundings that tell you a little more about the subject. You can even use interior backgrounds. Selective focus and good lighting is what makes it look uncluttered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back