portrait photographers of the now

MHB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been thinking lately how in the past every decade has had no shortage of great portrait photographers. Then I thought about who would be the greatest of the now and the only ones that really came to mind were Dan Winters and Martin Schoeller. Who do you think are some of the greatest portrait photographers out now that people will remember for years to come?

Fro Knows Photo

Hahhahahhahaha

(link deleted)

Last edited:
I clicked on the link, then on portrait/people photographers and picked one - Robert Knapp - a wedding photographer.
The photo on the 1st page of his web site is under exposed and shows poor use of light.
So I didn't look any further than that.

So I didn't look any further than that.
Hmm..

I apologize for posting that link. I had not actually clicked on any specific names before posting it. Now that I have done so, I've decided to delete the link.

Apparently that is one of of those lists that anyone with the price of admission can get on. Sorry.

Last edited:
^ that list of 50
Plus Ellen Von Unwerth, Sally Mann, Mario Testino, David Hamilton, and Joey Lawrence.

Mmm I always was told if you don't know ask, there's no stupid question.

So please excuse my ignorance, now I got the 50 for me they captured the character the personality. Yet with the 10 I just got ew piece of candy, ew piece of candy, ew piece of candy.

So my question am I just missing something, is it just a style I don't get or a subject I'm naive in, the modern way? Not saying I didn't like them all, just felt they felt too stylised, over processed and failed at actually capturing the personality or character(not all but most).

I know I sound controversial but really I am just a naive beginner trying to learn.

Mmm I always was told if you don't know ask, there's no stupid question.

So please excuse my ignorance, now I got the 50 for me they captured the character the personality. Yet with the 10 I just got ew piece of candy, ew piece of candy, ew piece of candy.

So my question am I just missing something, is it just a style I don't get or a subject I'm naive in, the modern way? Not saying I didn't like them all, just felt they felt too stylised, over processed and failed at actually capturing the personality or character(not all but most).

I know I sound controversial but really I am just a naive beginner trying to learn.
Nope, you get it 100%.
those 10 are just contemporary popular stuff (think YouTube celebrity) or AmericanIdol Winner.
The 50 refer to the all time greats. Think Freddie Mercury, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, John Williams.

Get the difference?
the 10 are trendy and the 50 have proven the test of time.

In every "list" there is bound to be some who don't seem to belong. You don't have to like every photographer listed, but their work is still important enough for some people to add them to the list.

The thing was it wasn't some it was most. This was why I asked.

The only one I honestly felt captured character and personality has a controversial subject and processing yet turns up in the 50.

I now have 2 points of view I'm instinctively drawn to Sam's point of view but have no idea if that's correct.

So is it just the modern way, and there is the next great in the 10? For example out of the 10 who will last?

Not a portrait photographer as such but one whose portraiture work I find moving and compelling is Sebastião Salgado.

Joey Lawrence
Steve McCurry
Vivian Maier (yeah, it's street photography but if you look through her work, her portraits are damn nice)
Annie Leibovitz
Yousuf Karsh
Gregory Heisler
Richard Avedon

Plus more, but those are the few off the top of my head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back