Portrait practice... opinions please!! xx

Thanks April! I started to ALTER the photo to show her the different things you can do with Photo shop.. For me.. YES her first one to be is a bit TO blurred.. I dont mind a blurred photo at all, but for me this one has to much.. Just my personal preference... She is trying to learn PS SO I was just giving her an example.. IT had nothing to do with hard feelings towards hers at all...

I like the B&W, I would only sharpen the eye's a bit, since they really are the key to a nice portrait shot. Oversharpening is very common, when using the unsharp mask you have to keep the radius and threshold levels way down.

:heart: A bit of a noob question here:blushing: .... but how do I put the 'unsharpen mask" over just the eyes.... I am very basic and only know how to apply it to whole pic!! Also... what numbers do you recommend for the radius & threshold levels & for the other top one ( unsharpen?)... sorry, a bit dumb hey! xxx
Insomniac said:
I like the B&W, I would only sharpen the eye's a bit, since they really are the key to a nice portrait shot. Oversharpening is very common, when using the unsharp mask you have to keep the radius and threshold levels way down.

thanks??? & aaaahhhh, "THANKS" guys!! xxx Lucky for me I am LEARNING and not selling just yet... however i'd like to be in the not so distant future!? xx This is why i'm posting so bloody much, to get critique (& thankfully a few compliments too xx) to help me improve. Bowonfam3.. I see what you mean by too much unsharpen mask around eyes in particular on Hollys edit. Ive done this on a couple myself. Am having this pic printed up today as Ive only seen it on screen so far, so i am looking forward to seeing it in the flesh... No hard feelings anyone xx And please keep helping me with your valuable feedback & don't hate me for posting so damn much xxx LoL xx

insomniac is right about keeping the radius and threshold very low. depends on how big you image is but try this as a rough guide - threshold at 1 and radius at 0.7 and the put the amount up to about 70+ see how that looks (presuming your working on the original large image and not the small web image here).

a simple way to just sharpen the eyes would be to use the lasso tool with a slight feather, maybe about 10, more so if a larger image (in options) and draw roughly around one eye, then hold shift down as you draw around the other eye, then apply your USM. It will only affect the areas you have lasso'd

PS. another tip is to steer clear of the contrast tool altogether. You can do a much better job with contrast on your picture by just using the curves

Holly,

I hope you didn't take offense to my comment earlier, but we are all here to learn and get better, and I know that the sharpening in your edit would be the first thing a professional would notice. I circled all of the places where you can see a "halo" from the sharpening done in post processing. USM can sometimes cause those white spots and streaks that are called halos. I hope this helps in clarifying what I meant in my post earlier!

e79b1848.jpg

Somehow, even after this prolonged discussion, I still like the first version shown here best of all! The black and white one with which this whole thread started.
And I see clear, sharp eyes. Big, round, dark, with many reflections.
Eyes that immediately speak to you, draw you in.
With those, the fact that the aperture was chosen so the second eye and back shoulder are already out of the focal range does not bother me any longer AT ALL.

The original colour version is as good as it it, could do with a slight curve adjustment, but other than that!?!?!

No sharpening requiered, I say.
Definitely no oversharpening. The metallic sheen (halo) is something that needs to be watched very carefully when applying the USM.

:heart: Thankyou so much...it is such a boost to get a positive comment... I love her big black eyes too and that is why decided to post this pic. I am the first to admit that i am a "LEARNER" (hence the focus dilemma!) but am as keen as they come to master this art xx Thanks again xxLol

LaFoto said:
Somehow, even after this prolonged discussion, I still like the first version shown here best of all! The black and white one with which this whole thread started.
And I see clear, sharp eyes. Big, round, dark, with many reflections.
Eyes that immediately speak to you, draw you in.
With those, the fact that the aperture was chosen so the second eye and back shoulder are already out of the focal range does not bother me any longer AT ALL.

The original colour version is as good as it it, could do with a slight curve adjustment, but other than that!?!?!

No sharpening requiered, I say.
Definitely no oversharpening. The metallic sheen (halo) is something that needs to be watched very carefully when applying the USM.

bowronfam3 said:
Holly,

I hope you didn't take offense to my comment earlier, but we are all here to learn and get better, and I know that the sharpening in your edit would be the first thing a professional would notice. I circled all of the places where you can see a "halo" from the sharpening done in post processing. USM can sometimes cause those white spots and streaks that are called halos. I hope this helps in clarifying what I meant in my post earlier!

O My WOW! Nope I didnt even notice those were from the Unsharp mask! I didnt know what they were called even... Hence why I dont EVERY use the unsharp mask myself.. I thought it was what she wanted since she posted thats what she was trying to use.. SORRY Guys!!! DIdnt mean to cause any drama!

Oh my goodness Holly! Nothing to appologize for at all! I just thought I would show you what I meant, because there's nothing worse when you're learning something to be shown how to do something the wrong way. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that from the work you've posted, as a matter of fact all of your stuff has been great!

bowronfam3 said:
Oh my goodness Holly! Nothing to appologize for at all! I just thought I would show you what I meant, because there's nothing worse when you're learning something to be shown how to do something the wrong way. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that from the work you've posted, as a matter of fact all of your stuff has been great!
THANKS!

JEMMY Bring it on !! Ready for more photos from U. ;)

Slight blurring aside ;) I really love the b/w version of this. The jean jacket has fantastic texture and the bricks make a great background. Wonderful pose as well. I think you are definitely on the right track!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back