Portrait Session From Today

Great series :thumbup: (she's cute! :lovey:)

Out of interest, how much photoshop work did you do on them (if any?)

Great series :thumbup: (she's cute! :lovey:)

Out of interest, how much photoshop work did you do on them (if any?)
Thanks!

I did mostly:
Healing brush for blemishes.
Sharpening.
High Pass.
Contrast.
Additional High Pass for the eyes.

Of course masking is involved in all of the above. I didn't actually spent much time on each, the hair is too sharp on some of them.

you can achieve the same thing with small flashes off camera.

i was wondering if that could be achieved using a speedlight. your photos have inspired me to buy one.......thanks and keep posting your pics :)

Thanks!

I did mostly:
Healing brush for blemishes.
Sharpening.
High Pass.
Contrast.
Additional High Pass for the eyes.

I like the images... - she is actually really cute.... here's a basic retouch of what I would have done... in the post processing (just my own taste) - this was a quick retouch...
also, there's a link to the layered .psd, just turn off and on the "retouch" layer to see before/after....

nice images....

link to layered .psd: http://www.fastwearz.com/retouch-girl.psd

retouch-girl.jpg

I like the images... - she is actually really cute.... here's a basic retouch of what I would have done... in the post processing (just my own taste) - this was a quick retouch...
also, there's a link to the layered .psd, just turn off and on the "retouch" layer to see before/after....

nice images....

Good job Bill! I didn't see the difference at first, because it's so well done! Can you tell me what tools you used? I know healing brush and clone stamp can achieve the same thing, but my skill in that area is a bit rusty.

Good job Bill! I didn't see the difference at first, because it's so well done! Can you tell me what tools you used? I know healing brush and clone stamp can achieve the same thing, but my skill in that area is a bit rusty.

thanks, you bet....

everything was done with dodge/burn (eyes) and slight facial shadowing
clone tool heavily, and light healing brush... and curves...
but most importantly, each step done in a duplicate layer, and nothing is ever at 100% - each thing I do, I overdo slightly, such as a dodge/burn, then I turn that layer's opacity down until I like the way it looks... then merge down, create new layer and move on.... so forth :)

the differences are a lot more noticeable in showing the before & after turning the layer on/off in photoshop.... the whole idea (usually) is to make images not look retouched... or at least not look over-retouched... in my opinion, overdoing it is worse than doing nothing...

thanks, you bet....

everything was done with dodge/burn (eyes) and slight facial shadowing
clone tool heavily, and light healing brush... and curves...
but most importantly, each step done in a duplicate layer, and nothing is ever at 100% - each thing I do, I overdo slightly, such as a dodge/burn, then I turn that layer's opacity down until I like the way it looks... then merge down, create new layer and move on.... so forth :)

the differences are a lot more noticeable in showing the before & after turning the layer on/off in photoshop.... the whole idea (usually) is to make images not look retouched... or at least not look over-retouched... in my opinion, overdoing it is worse than doing nothing...
Thanks I will be sure to try that next time, I hate opening Photoshop if not for new pictures, because it runs so slow on my macbook.

I agree, retouching should be subtle if you want to retouch not full-on photo manipulation.

Btw thanks again, I really love it when people show me how it should be done! (Okay, not always, but this case really helps me set my standard straight).

oh, one quick afterthought... I was in such a hurry, I didn't really look at it as closely... is that she would probably like here eyebrow strays cleaned up, just the big ones on our upper left (her right eyebrow) - well she may not notice the difference, but there's be something she'd see about her eyebrow that she'd like better... :)

Most reactions

Back