portrait shots, what lens should I buy Canon Rebel XSI

RetroRescue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a Canon Rebel Xsi and I just have the free lens that came with it when I bought it at Best Buy many years ago. I am looking to take pictures of children and families (outside) and want a lens that really captures them. I'm down in TX and the blue bonnets are coming in and just want something better then the EFS 18-55mm I have. Thanks :)
-super new to photography I don't know the lego or slang or really anything lol

The 50 1.8 is often the first lens that people add to their kits as beginners. On a crop sensor like yours, it's a good portrait length lens. It can let more light in than your current lens and create more subject isolation (by blurring the background) as well as being sharper and usually even faster to autofocus.

The 85 1.8 is also a classic and worth looking into.

35mm 1.4
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8

100mm f2
100mm f2.8 macro
135mm f2L

You working room will also determine what lens you may want to use.

Of course if you have money to burn 85mm f1.2
L

28-75 f/2.8
older tamron or sigma version.
lens can be had for ~300 or so and is good quality.
also a FX lens if you move to a full frame camera at some point.
covers typical focal ranges for portraits on a DX camera, and almost hits the 85mm range.

The 50 1.8 is going to be the best bang for the buck you can ask for. New for under $150 and will produce very good images.

I have the 60D which is cropped sensor as well. here the lens i have used

1. Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8: walk around lens. fast and great quality. best replacement for your kit lens.
2. Canon 85mm f/1.8: used 100% for portrait. if space is limited then it may not work for you. You have to move back around 40 feet for a full body shot.
3. Canon 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8. same as the 85 but don't have to move back that far. Still check your space.

I would add my vote for the 50mm f/1.8 and/or the 85mm f/1.8. The 85mm, if you have the room will give you more compression than the 50mm and both will give you some really nice background bokeh.

I am looking to take pictures of children and families (outside) and want a lens that really captures them.

70-200 is the ( one of) go to event lens. It has the versatility and will change your photography forever.

It is a portrait lens at any of its focal range.

Pairs well with a 24-70 similar to what @pixmedic suggested and covers most of the range suggested so far.

A 50mm nifty fifty is a very mediocre lens. If mediocrity is your cup of tea and your looking to have fun, it will pair well with your Xsi.

@Derrel recently tore the 50mm 1.8 II a new buthole so Im going to go ahead and throw mine out. I dont think I'll even sell it, I'd feel bad for the buyer.

@ronlane they are shooting outdoors they probably need reach right?

50mm 1.8 STM - refurbished ~ around $95

I am looking to take pictures of children and families (outside) and want a lens that really captures them.

70-200 is the ( one of) go to event lens. It has the versatility and will change your photography forever.

It is a portrait lens at any of its focal range.

Pairs well with a 24-70 similar to what @pixmedic suggested and covers most of the range suggested so far.

A 50mm nifty fifty is a very mediocre lens. If mediocrity is your cup of tea and your looking to have fun, it will pair well with your Xsi.

@Derrel recently tore the 50mm 1.8 II a new buthole so Im going to go ahead and throw mine out. I dont think I'll even sell it, I'd feel bad for the buyer.

@ronlane they are shooting outdoors they probably need reach right?
I'm curious to read the rant as i just gave away my 50mm II and got the STM.

Well considering that........
1. The thread is almost a year old.
2. The OP made one post total and has never been seen again.

I feel sorry for all the kittens today. Apparently this is dig up old thread day and post to it day. Two more months and this one will officially enter Zombie status.

Well considering that........
1. The thread is almost a year old.
2. The OP made one post total and has never been seen again.

I feel sorry for all the kittens today. Apparently this is dig up old thread day and post to it day. Two more months and this one will officially enter Zombie status.

At first I thought I was one of the "kittens" that got tricked, but now I realize I was one of the replies from a year ago. I didn't even realize I'd been around that long. And now I feel old...

Ahh your not old......................Your ANCIENT!!!:biglaugh:

The Canon 50mm f1.8 STM is a popular choice but there is a learning curve in getting the most out of the lens. This lens has really nice bokeh (which is why it is a favorite for portraits) but I sometimes find it a little soft. The build quality of this lens is also questionable.

As an alternative to the 50m f1.8 STM I would recommend the Canon 24mm f2.8 STM. On a crop sensor camera this is an effective focal length of around 40mm, which is a very nice focal length and ideal for indoor portraits. The build quality of this lens is superior to the 50mm lens, the image quality is superior, it is sharper and since it is a pancake lens it is also small and discreet.

I find my Canon 24mm f2.8 lens is spending more and more time on my camera and my 50mm f1.8 lens is sat on the shelf collecting dust.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back