Portrait studio set/up.

OGsPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_5567.JPG
Im looking to make the most if this set up.

Taking photos of my 2 1/2 year old daughter in halloween costume and mom too.

Have about 15' depth and its 8' wide the BG.

Looking for ideas as to modifiers and perhaps I'll add another light soon too.

Keep it simple. One main light and one hair/backlight at most until you are comfortable with balancing foreground/background lighting.

Also pull that seemless out more so that the subject is on it, the seemless should surround the entire subject.

Thanks,

I am trying to keep it simple!

The main in this setup is the monolight and there is a fill light on the side. I dint really dona ratio but I just change them a lot until I like results. The 3rd light is lighting the background.

If I add to this setup it would be a hair/rim/ or another bg light on the same side as the fill I think. Will probably be another YN 560 iii. They work great nit that Im running eneloop batteries.

For sure I will pull the paper out.

I am getting comfortable with the balancing if the light, in M mode its just a matter if timing. Can lock it in in a minute or two but with a 2 year old I might not have that much time, therefor the bear :)

The umbrella on the monolight will get replaced with a large softbox, just have to figure out what.

An easy way to add fill is with a reflector. Slide it closer or further away until you get the look you want. Cheap and simple.

IMG_5570.JPG
Thanks for the reminder! Heres the setup after adjusting lights, backdrop and adding reflector.

Figured out how to remote shoot with the phone app, turn off live view with camera button beside info button, then the flashes sync!

I've never been a fan of using shoot through umbrellas for portraits.
I much prefer the controlled lighting of softboxes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think she's much cuter with out the side junk. :biggrin:
IMG_5571.JPG

Nicely done; it looks slightly under-exposed to me, but overall, very nice for a living-room studio shoot!

Or tighter with a little magic, since she is a fairy princess after all. :)
IMG_5571a.jpg

@chuasam Im looking to add a softbox to the monolight. Something like this?Studio-98 Pro Large 150 CM ( 59 Inch ) Octagon Softbox and Speedring For BOWENS GEMINI ESPRIT Flash Light https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FB8T8Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-94fybKNC69ZG

@gryphonslair99 thanks for the tip! I'll look into them
I use this Elinchrom Rotalux Octa Softbox (69") EL26186 B&H Photo with my Elinchrom lights. (yes I have both Profoto and Elinchrom; I also have AlienBees. I started out with Proto; the AlienBees was a gift from my Dad and my Uncle gave me the Elinchrom) The Profoto are more sturdy but the Elinchrom are infinitely more portable. Heavy lights means you have to upside your lightstands (or CStands) and really sandbag them. I love my beauty dish...I'm pondering getting one for my Elinchrom too so I don't have to carry both systems.

I'm waiting for the perfect client to get the Mola Mantti or Setti. My friend was using one (rented) and I just about died.

MOLA Setti 28″- 71cm White Interior - MOLA Softlights

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMG_5670.JPG
Thanks for the advice!
Went with the 59" LA Studio Octa.

Its big. Can barely move it around and hard to set up/ tear down but Im very excited to have this added control.

Going to be fun!

Now I just have to convince my wife that we dont need two living rooms!

Haha its all in another ( smaller :() room already....

Most reactions

Back