Portrait

Vivienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I want to try some things with portraits in the future.
Because nobody wanted to model, I made a selfportrait at home to try some things today. I guess this is the best one:

Portrait_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

What do you think and do you have any suggestions?

And I also want to ask you all a favour. I'm joying a dutch photo contest and I would be very glad if you'll vote for me. You can vote on this link: http://www.redbull5pics.nl/index.php?cms[pageID]=10#/1/25/0/
Please vote 5 camera's if you want to, it would really help me. I'm at the second place now.
Thank you!!

I'm not a portrait photographer at all, so I can't critique your work. But at least to my eyes it looks very good! Not sure about the side of your face being out the picture, and possibly try some different lighting to put some interesting shadows on the features / add depth to your face - might be a nice idea just to experiment with a few lighting set ups.

Well done, and all the best for your future in portrait :)

C.

Try the lighting at 45 degrees, at a height to get light into both eyes. Not easy in a self portrait.
Because you were partially out of the shot I cropped you down the middle for a little more dramatic look.
I added some contrast, got rid of some wispy hair and softened it a little.
Very pretty by the way.

Portrait_by_vivienne_vluge.jpg

Thank you both for your comment.
heip, I guess the photo looks better the way you edited it, thanks for that! :)
But i'm not sure about the croping..

Try the lighting at 45 degrees, at a height to get light into both eyes. Not easy in a self portrait.
Because you were partially out of the shot I cropped you down the middle for a little more dramatic look.
I added some contrast, got rid of some wispy hair and softened it a little.
Very pretty by the way.

Portrait_by_vivienne_vluge.jpg
I really don't like the hair getting Pshopped off. Faces aren't truly symmetrical even though we think of them that way most of the time and I think the "wispy" hair was part of what makes her look so beautiful and natural. I think the original picture accomplished what most people want in a portrait. The only thing I would suggest is a little softening and lighting like heip said. Stunning picture though.

I would have opened up and/or stepped away from the wall a bit. Also that dark bit at the top distracts me a little. Other than these things it's a very strong photo and your model has a lovely face ;P!

I would have opened up and/or stepped away from the wall a bit. Also that dark bit at the top distracts me a little. Other than these things it's a very strong photo and your model has a lovely face ;P!

lol, her model is her!

I like the shot.

It is a nice interesting pose and the picture as taken is very nice. Focus and DOF are great but picture needs some post-processing to make it really good.

It is under-sharpened, slightly too contrasty and your hair is too dark. It looks like an ink-blot.

I tones down some of your freckles, did various sharpenings, used shadows/highlights to lighten your hair and lower the mid-tone contrast.
Your eyes, which should be at a stronger point in the image, are exactly at the mid-point. I cropped it to 4 x 5 to move your eyes and remove some of the top, which was excess.

If you want this to be even better, you need to work on a full-res image.

portrait2wf3.jpg

My suggestion would to just add a warming filter.

Not sure why the_traveler felt he had to PS your freckles. You have a beautiful face and I think the freckles add to your beauty.

I think you have a great start here and by following the above suggestion you can try for an excellent shot.

I love this portrait. I do like the adjustments that Heip made (besides the cropping), but the original is not bad at all. The edit by The_Traveler way oversharpens the photo in my opinion- it makes it grainy as all get-out
Also, you are gorgeous :)

I really don't like the hair getting Pshopped off. Faces aren't truly symmetrical even though we think of them that way most of the time and I think the "wispy" hair was part of what makes her look so beautiful and natural. I think the original picture accomplished what most people want in a portrait. The only thing I would suggest is a little softening and lighting like heip said. Stunning picture though.

Ok thanks for your comment. :)
I guess you're right about the lighting and softening!

Thanks. :blushing:
I will try some time to step away from the wall (or door, it was taken at the bathroom).

It is a nice interesting pose and the picture as taken is very nice. Focus and DOF are great but picture needs some post-processing to make it really good.

It is under-sharpened, slightly too contrasty and your hair is too dark. It looks like an ink-blot.

I tones down some of your freckles, did various sharpenings, used shadows/highlights to lighten your hair and lower the mid-tone contrast.
Your eyes, which should be at a stronger point in the image, are exactly at the mid-point. I cropped it to 4 x 5 to move your eyes and remove some of the top, which was excess.

If you want this to be even better, you need to work on a full-res image.

*photo*

Thanks for your comment, but the hair doesn't look like the real colour any more and I guess I liked that better.

My suggestion would to just add a warming filter.

Not sure why the_traveler felt he had to PS your freckles. You have a beautiful face and I think the freckles add to your beauty.

I think you have a great start here and by following the above suggestion you can try for an excellent shot.

Ok thanks, I would try it on Photoshop! :D

I love this portrait. I do like the adjustments that Heip made (besides the cropping), but the original is not bad at all. The edit by The_Traveler way oversharpens the photo in my opinion- it makes it grainy as all get-out
Also, you are gorgeous :)

Thank you! I agree with you about the edit by heip and the Traveler. :)

Most reactions

Back